Don't want to jump the gun but.....

For the last 3 days Jordan's behaviors have been ok at school. Aside from the small stimming noises he makes, no outbursts or rocking of his chair when told not to. Now I know I have been down this road before, but I was not looking at the things I am paying attention to now that may have been contributing to his issues. Monday morning, with my prayer partner, we prayed for things to be revealed to us. I specifically wanted to know if the egg that Jordan had ingested in the hamburger buns, and on occasion in a pizza, was the problem. Giving him those foods along with the possibility of soy in some foods and the artificial colors and flavors in the candies he loves could have been the reason behind him acting out.

Jordan last time had skittles and any egg in a food was a little over a week ago. I had already discontinued the pizza but with those buns costing over 4 dollars, I just allowed him to finish them up. Even though he was much calmer in bible study that day after having burgers 4 days in a row, I believe that may have been because he was on new supplements that were helping him cope with allergens within his body. But the next days in school weren't so good. Fast forwarding to today he has been ok at school and his allergy symptoms have seem to die down, until this morning. Hopefully they won't cause an issue. But I'm pretty confident the egg and soy were partakers in why he was having a hard time listening and following directions as school and sometimes at home. Being as though it's only been 3 days we are still in the waiting period, which isn't always bad. Scripture in Lamentations 3:25 goes "The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him." Waiting can be good. Just like I have been waiting to give Jordan french fries because they are a heavy starch. He hasn't had any french fries because I am scared of the results because starch turns to sugar. I know I'm going to have to deal with it sooner or later though.

On another note I created the communication book that I said I would for Jordan and have used it with him a couple of times. The first was Monday morning. He woke up very early and I was trying to get him to go back to bed for a little while before it was actually time to get up. But he wouldn't. He was not following my directions at all. He kept coming down the steps and crying. So I got the book, asked him what was wrong and showed him his options. He pointed to angry, frustrated and sad. I then asked him what did he need to do and he pointed to stop. Finally I asked him what did he want and he pointed to food. So when I advised him I would brush his teeth and make his breakfast when I got back from taking baby sister to school he said ok. I told him to go in the room with his dad until I got back, but when I got back in and went upstairs he was in his room waiting patiently. We went on about our morning as usual. The next time I had to use it was Monday evening. He was spending a lot of time in our basement; our unfinished, dusty basement. When he started to cough and have a runny nose I told him it was time to go upstairs which he didn't like and didn't want to do. That started his frustration. So while hubby was continuing to put in the new water heater, I went upstairs to show him the new toy I got him from the Accessability Summit. But at this point there was no consoling him. So I got out the book and asked him how he felt. This time he pointed to happy. I asked him what did he need but he couldn't figure it out and pointed to various things. So I turned to the other category and said what's wrong and he pointed to I don't know. From there I asked him what did he want and he said food. So I gave him a little snack and he was pleased and patient while I put together his toy and was good for the night.

Both times ended in him wanting food. I know Jordan is a growing boy so I guess it's time to start increasing his portions just a bit. Also get back into the habit of giving him beans and spinach with meals as well. And because he can eat a hamburger on a bun, it's about time he starts eating his hot dogs the same way. It's so hard to believe my little boy is getting older and showing signs of maturity. In a little under 3 months he will be 12 years old. One year shy of a teenager. Can you imagine that? Thinking about the future makes me so excited about what it holds for him, for us.




Popular Posts