Day 29 - Advocate

Jordan's diagnosis was hard for the family. We weren't quite sure what to do once we found out he had Autism.

Social workers lead me in the right direction. He has been in school since he was 3 and has had an IEP the entire time.

Now when it comes to IEP's there are a lot of parents I hear complaining about the lack of services the schools provide and then there are parents that don't have any issues at all.

I am in the latter group.

The reason why I don't have any issues is because I don't see Jordan when he is at school. I know what he can and can't do at home, but I feel the school is the best place to determine what goals he needs to meet while in their care.

My main focus has always been getting him in a position where he won't need an IEP anymore. Also the problem with me fighting for schools to apply a specific goal with Jordan is that he won't retain the information anyway.

I have been trying to teach him the difference in upstairs and downstairs for years.

I appreciate them for properly handling Jordan when he has his behavioral issues. I don't want to fight with them to do things that he probably won't remember months down the line.

But that's just what I notice when it comes to my son. Every child and situation is different. Some have reason to advocate for the services their children are not getting because the schools claim there is no money in the budget when they just don't want to do their job.

I honestly don't know which I would rather have. I child who could retain therefore I have to push to get him the services he needs, or the way I have it now.

Thinking about it, I choose the way I have it now. I strongly believe in the end it will pay off.


Proverbs 31:8-9 (NIV)
"Speak up for those who
cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who
are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights
or the poor and needy."

Popular Posts