Sunday not so fun day

This weekend my second oldest came home from college for the Labor day weekend. I thought it would be a good idea to get out and do something as a family instead of the same old story. We decided to go bowling. I know Jordan enjoys bowling, so fun was going to be had by all. Except for my 15 year old. She wanted to be the party pooper and not join us. While we were there Jordans spasms were completely out of control. It was so bad he would stop in his tracks while carrying the ball to the ramp when they would hit. I tried to calm them by rubbing his stomach while he sat on my lap at times but nothing was doing the trick. I got him a bottle of water to try and flush out his system. I decided he wouldn't get any more supplements that day or for a while. Later on that night he had an allergic reaction to shrimp. My mom was making shrimp linguine for my daughter to take back to school with her. I handed my son her glasses because they were left in the kitchen and a short time after that my daughter brought him to me with swollen eyes. I gave him some of the natural allergy medicine I had for him and gave him a shower to wash off all remnants of the seafood. Then I gave him the aller-ease drops and put some allergy eye drops in his eyes and hoped that he didn't ingest any. They started to look better almost instantly, but while he was getting dressed I saw just how far his stomach was caving in from the spasms. I became very worried at that point.

I know when he sleeps they tend to go away. So I tried to get him to sleep, but they were just too strong. After this going on for so long I had enough and decided that we needed to get him to the ER. Not just because they were so strong, but they had been going on literally all day. Something was not right. He had finally dosed off a little before he was seen, but they were still happening, just not as bad. Of course they couldn't tell us anything or run any kind of test because his abdomen was not hard and it didn't feel like anything was wrong. I think they felt like he was having seizures or that he was on his way to because they said when his eyes start to roll in his head to bring him back. They said to follow up with his primary care and a neurologist because the doctor felt like he was having some kind of tick. I know he didn't have any type of tick because it's just a reaction to his spasms. So it was a complete waste of time. I'm debating on if I will follow up with the neurologist. It really depends on what his primary care doctor says today.

Yesterday I did a bunch of research because the doctor did ask about if Jordan cleared his throat. I can't remember the correlation between the two, so I looked it up. Nothing stuck out, but I kept prying and digging. Couldn't find anything that could give me any answers or help. So lastly I decided to look up the first thing I thought the problem was when these spasms started happening. The fiber. I researched the disadvantage of too much fiber. I believe I found my answer on the first or second page that came up. Firstly the type of fiber he takes is psyllium husks. Psyllium is a gel coated seed and the husk is a soluble fiber that absorbs water and swells in your digestive tract. Too much of it can further upset it. So not only can it clump and form a hard mass that can lead to intestinal blockage, it also can bind to certain medications and reduce their absorption into the body. The article states you should take it 2-4 hours after eating a meal or taking supplements. Something I did not do. The long-term impact can cause a number of problems in the body. Because it acts as a laxative, overdosing can give the same problems as laxative abuse. Too many laxatives can disturb the fluid and electrolyte balance in the body which can cause dehydration, nerve and muscle function disruption, tremors and kidney damage. The final paragraph states that a study has shown that the proper dosage the typical adult should take 1 half to 2 teaspoons a day. Jordan was receiving 4 tablespoons.

After finding out this info I felt at ease believing I have finally found the issue. I may have stopped giving him the fiber, but didn't do anything to help with the imbalance that occurred in his body due to it. I read up on gluten free drinks that contain electrolytes and Gatorade was one. Luckily I keep tons of it in the house. I gave him 4 bottles throughout the day and  also water as well. He already seemed to be doing a tiny bit better that morning. And even going through yesterday he seemed to show improvement. His spirits were totally different than on Sunday when he didn't want to talk much because the spasms were coming to frequently. Yesterday he ran around and played and you actually heard him. He answered questions when asked and smiled more. Today when he awoke the spasms took a while to start up. They are still persistent but there is an extremely noticeable difference than Sunday and even yesterday. It's funny how so many problems can stem from one thing. When it seemed like they were going to stop, and I gave him certain supplements and foods, it would trigger them to come back even though he didn't have the fiber. It allowed me to believe that the problem was something it wasn't. And that's how the devil works. He will push the buttons by someone or something he knows triggers you and you will think your issue lies with that, when it's really with him. Revelation 12:9 reads "So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." He will lie and cheat and steal to have you doubt what is true. When I would remove something I though was a problem and he would get better for a short time, but then a new issue would pop up, it was nothing but the devil trying to confuse me and to doubt my God. But it would have never worked. I stand true to my faith because of Ephesians 6:11 "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." I will update you when we get back from the doctor.


Popular Posts