A waste

I am not unaware that most doctors have no clue when it comes to Autism. Like I've said numerous times before, a lot think that the problem with these children is a neurological one. Because our kids have difficulty learning, speaking, and doing what typical children do, many focus on the fact that these things are done with the brain and treat is as such. However, what a lot of people fail to realize is that if the brain is not getting the proper nutrients, vitamins, essentials from the body's systems to allow it to work the way it's supposed to, it will be compromised. So when I went to the ER and to the doctor, I shouldn't have been surprised that both thought Jordan's issue was a neurological one.

Never mind the fact that the spasms come and go. That there are some days they are worse than others. Yes there is some trigger that sets it off more than others, but I doubt it has anything to do with his brain because he's not receiving anything different than he normally does. The combination of supplements differ between what I do and what his dad does, but it's still the same stuff. All of this started to happen when I gave him the fiber and kept increasing the dosage to a level that he should have never been receiving and kept giving it to him for an extended period of time. But I admit I was a little shocked to see that even his primary care physician thought his problem was in his brain as well. I knew for sure that she was going to understand what we had been going through for the last couple of months and help me get down to what the issue was. She agreed to have some blood work done and gave me a referral to have an x-ray of his abdomen to rule anything out. However, seeing the neurologist was definitely at the top of her list.

As upset as I was that I didn't find out what was ailing my son or get any kind of remedy it really showed me how out of touch most people, even doctors, still are when it comes to our kids with Autism. It's almost as if they refuse to think outside the box of what works for typical patients. Our kids aren't typical. They are unique, one of a kind children that have different abilities and issues therefore require different treatments for the medical problems they face in life. I'm disappointed in yesterday's visit just like I was at the ER visit, however, I'm so glad that in a week Jordan will be seeing the doctor that I know can help me solve this problem. Once I tell her about the information I came across when it comes to giving him too much fiber, I think she will be able to narrow down what the problem may be and even give me the directions to fix it or send me to the doctor that can. And I'm thinking because Jordan seems to show more signs after he eats, that he may need to see a doctor that deals with the digestive system or maybe the gastrointestinal system if they aren't one in the same. Until then I will slow down on the Gatorade's, but continue with plenty of water and wait patiently until September 17th. Hopefully the spasms will have gone away completely by then and it not even be relevant anymore.

Times like these you truly have to look to and lean on the Lord. When you have so many different opinions on a specific matter, opinions from those more knowledgeable about diagnosing medical issues, you can get confused. But the one thing I have that they don't take into consideration when treating patients is God. Whether or not Jordan's problem is in his brain or in his gut, God's got this. Proverbs 3:5-6, Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. I don't understand why this condition would be linked to the brain but the professionals have their reasons, which is why I won't go against what they suggest and will follow through. However, I consider myself to understand and know Autism a lot better than the doctors because they don't see my daily ins and outs with this disability nor do I believe they have done the extensive research I have on things that can help and can hurt my son. Working with the DAN! doctor and learning what I have about where the issues actually lie have given me an advantage. I'm not an expert, but very experienced. Not only about Autism, I consider myself experienced when it comes to the issues of life because of my relationship with God. With the knowledge, wisdom, and favor He gives me I know that his ailment will be figured out and fixed and he will be restored.

Popular Posts