Still recovering


Last week I tried to start Jordan back on his supplement regimen but it just didn't work. Those darn spasms just kept coming and coming. They weren't severe, but just an annoyance. I must admit I was a little anxious about getting him back on the supplements and I thought with the added magnesium that it would still go away. But here I am 2 weeks later still dealing with the same issues.

When I started him on the epsom salt baths, I didn't do it nightly as the directions said. Actually I have a habit of not looking at the treatment recommendations until I am at a loss as to why what I am doing isn't working like it should. You would think I should know better by now. Anyway, I just started him on the nightly soaks one week ago and only missed one night. The cream I had been doing two times a day as the doctor noted. While showering my son tends to wet up the bathroom floor and when it happens it leaks down into our den. So on Monday I sat in with him to correct him on the things he does so he can stop. While in there with him, I paid attention to the fact that even though he was sitting in the bath, his stomach wasn't being covered by the water. I didn't know if it was an issue or not, but I told him to sit back, and added more water so his midsection could be submerged. While he was, I saw no spasms or jerks come from that area. Even when out of the bath sometimes the spasms would happen, but this time, it did not. So the new routine is to have him lay back to soak for about 20 minutes, shower, put on the cream, and go to bed. Last night was night two and this morning there were a few spasms here and there. I'm waiting for a full day to go without me notice one jerk, twitch, whatever, before I add those supplement back. I hope it's not to much longer.

Jordan is still upbeat considering the circumstances. He continues to surprise me with little things, like singing "Everyday Jesus" around the house. He plays multiple Wii games. Yesterday it was 101 games in one, this morning the Michael Jackson Experience. He also said "how's your tummy?" It's one of the questions that I have been asking him a lot since this all came about to see if he would voice if is was hurting him or not. He's never responded with a yes. I don't understand why it doesn't hurt him as long as this has been going on, however, I'm glad it doesn't. I don't want my son to be in pain at all. But as long as it has been going on, I became a little concerned about why it was taking so long for them to stop. I did more research about how long it takes for someone dehydrated to get back to normal. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but I did find helpful information. I found out that Jordan was moderately dehydrated. And from the change in his demeanor once I started him on the Gatorades, water, and Pedialyte, he was on his way to being severely dehydrated. That would not have been good at all. Once a person is that far off, they have to seek medical treatment and get an IV. I wouldn't have minded that at all if the hospital wanted to do that, but of course they focused on his brain instead. I also read that there is a certain percentage that a person should drink per hour to get back on track, and that glucose or chia seeds should be taken with to help get the electrolytes into the blood stream or sip the drinks. Unfortunately Jordan drinks his juice fast, but through a straw. I realized the other day that when I bought Gatorade, he prefered them, and drank 2 bottles in a row. So his body is still in need. I decided to give up on the Pedialyte and it's like brands because of the information I read. Gatorade has the added glucose he needs, I just need to give him more daily.

As far as progress is going, as long as I am seeing a steady decreasing in the spasms I'm okay. Some improvement is better than no improvement. It is truly increasing my patience and my faith. I know that this won't be going on forever, and I know my God is a healer. Jehovah Rapha. Exodus 15:26 further explains, "and said, "If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you." That's all I need remember while we get through this.


Popular Posts