BACK TO SCHOOL


Today my now 4th grader went back to school. I was disappointed for two reasons. I was happy for only one.

The reasons for the disappointment was because right before school was to end last year, the teacher Jordan had majority of the year explained to me that she was going to be moved to another autism classroom where the students changed teachers like we change clothes. Now I understand they needed some stability, however, I don't think you should take stability from one group of children to provide for another group and possibly have the more stable group go through the same things the other did. I was not looking forward to another teacher having to get used to Jordan and his routines of him acting silly sometimes during work or scared they may give him something he should not have. I also was a little sad more-so than disappointed because I always hate to see my kids go off to school. Summertime we almost always have fun together. No getting up early, unless it's with Jordan sometimes. I guess it may just be the laziness of a stay at home mom.

But I was happy for one reason and one reason only. Jordan has become the most single difficult child in the house and it's good to get that break from him. Even this morning he tried to give me a little bit of an attitude because I opened the dishwasher or something. *rolls eyes* His OCD has really gotten out of control  and even now when I'm trying to accommodate him it seems like it's always something I do to set him off. It's good to have him gone for a little while as bad as it sounds. I don't have him running water and flushing toilets for no reason and running up our crazy water bill. I don't have him pulling and squeezing my hand when I've done something to bother him. I feel bad for saying it. I used to always feel bad for leaving any of my kids with anyone even for a few hours because they are my responsibility. I had them, why leave them with someone just so I could have fun. So when Jordan had to go to school at such an early age that was hard for me for that reason and and also because he could and still can not tell me what was going on and if something happened to him. I still wonder but he's such a good boy I don't think anyone would have reason to harm him, but no one has a reason to hurt anyone for real.

When I went up to the school today I asked for my sons teacher and classroom number. They told me the teacher and where the classroom was. It wasn't his teacher from last year. But when I walked up to the classroom, it was full of typically developing kids. At first I thought there is no way, they did not misplace my son did they? I scaned the room for him but didn't see him so the lady gave me the wrong info or they have it wrong. I am not surprised. Anyway I walked down to his old teacher's class. I looked in but I didn't see him. There was a lady bringing other kids into the classroom and I asked her if there was another special needs room and she directed me into the classroom I was looking in. I asked where's Jordan? He was sitting over on the pillows. I was so relieved to see him and to see he had the same teacher and one of the same aides from last year. She's a good teacher and he knows them and they him. That put me in a great mood for the day.

I missed my little guy though, and I really hope he does good this school year. I hope that treatment keeps going the way it is and I can see improvements in his work and notes from the teacher. I pray he stays or becomes more verbal with them as well. They noticed it last year and I know he's regressed a little since then but he seems to be getting back on track. Should be a great year!

Jordan home from the first day of 4th grade

Popular Posts