Details


Today is Autism Awareness day. Many people will be wearing blue and their Autism Speaks pins to bring awareness to the disorder so others who are not so familiar with it will pay attention, maybe do some research and be more educated about what it entails. It is considered a neurological issue because most children with Autism have some type of learning or developmental delay as well as having an issue with social skills. My personal opinion, along with others including doctors and other parents, believe that the issue is really in the gut. If the gut is not doing it's job properly, the brain can't get what it needs to function the way it should. Nutrients can't get absorbed into the bloodstream and pieces of undigested food finds its way into the body, leaving it to fight off the foreigners and reeking havoc on the body. This diet solves this problem.

When eaten, certain foods prohibit the gut from doing what it is supposed to because it has to address the issue. The gut can't properly heal and therefore can't get the nutrients into the body, causing many health issues. The GAPS diet removes all problem foods and gives the body nutrient dense broths and soups to go easy on the gut and help build the lining wall to allow the good in and keep the bad out. After the wall starts to rebuild, foods that can be an issue are tested to see if they can be tolerated. You start by testing a sample on the food on the wrist overnight. If irritation is seen then wait a week or so and try the test again. If no redness is seen it can be introduced. You start with a teaspoon of the food for a few days and if no reaction is seen it can be increased for another few days. If there is still no reaction the food can be given and you can start on the next food. But this is just the introduction to the diet. After the initial diet is over, you can give the foods that have been introduced successfully regularly in a special diet of all homemade recipes. Bone broths or soups are given as a snack in between breakfast, lunch and dinner. As I said before this must be adhered to for 1½-2 years depending on how long it takes for this GAPS patient to have at least six months of normal digestion. When that has been achieved you can start introducing foods that are not allowed on the diet and you add them as you did the foods when in the introduction stage of the diet. This is a very strict and sensitive diet. I'm about 95% ready to start it.

Yesterday I did some research about where I was going to buy my organic, cage-free, grass fed type foods to prepare these meals for Jordan. I didn't get a chance to read more of the book as I had to take in what seemed like it was going to be a difficult task. But after reaching out to the support group on Yahoo, I got plenty of information on places I could go to get what I need. One requiring a membership and I could have the items shipped to me. One right up the road that is open every Saturday. I believe being armed with the knowledge that I now have and the strength of the Lord, I can get started on this diet as early as Sunday. I say Sunday because I have to buy the ingredients and cook the foods that will probably take up most of Saturday. I can't wait to get started.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Comments

Popular Posts