Learning not to overreact

In the last 24 hours Jordan has had a total of 3 nosebleeds. This is new, but not new. Once Jordan's nose bled in the car on the way to a doctor's appointment and then later on that day. These 3 marks a total of 5 nosebleeds he has had in his life.

Last night while he was laying with me, I thought it bled because he was a little frustrated with something and I thought maybe his blood pressure was high. This morning when he came to lay in bed with me after his dad left for work I notice his new shirt had blood stains on it. He did a really good job stopping it on his own and cleaning himself up. The last one happened a little over an hour ago. I put him in the shower and while waiting for him to get out I did research on all the new things I have been trying out. I had been giving him black bean chips for about 2 weeks and cooked black beans for a few days. Yesterday was the start of the milk I wanted to reintroduce because of the phosphorus I believe he is lacking due to his diet. But I did not get regular whole milk this time, I ended up buying flax seed milk because it was the only one that labeled the percentage of phosphorus. It has the same amount of calcium plus other things added that I thought might be good for him. I just need to stay away from doing things like that. Obviously I am the queen of overdoing it.

 My first thought was because I had been giving him the beans with lunch and dinner for the last 3 days, that something in them was giving him a reaction. Like there was some nutrient or something that was thinning his blood. I did not find anything that that said too many black beans would cause that kind of issue. Omega-3 fatty acids came to mind when I thought back to the latest thing I started giving him. The flax seed milk has a pretty good percentage of omega-3's but I had no idea it was as much as it was. Before I checked the carton, I googled the side effects of consuming too much and found that it increased the risk of bleeding. It was actually the first negative listed on the page that I found. After finding this information I examined the carton to find out the amount of omega-3's and it contains 1200 mg. With the cod liver oil he takes that would make his total intake for the day 3750 mg. Too much omega-3's increase the possibility of bleeding because they have an anti-coagulating effect. And there you have it. As of now Jordan is off the milk, again.

Taking him off it doesn't bother me for numerous reasons. One, I found there is a bit of phosphorus in everything we eat. There is a possibility that he isn't deficient in it at all. The fact that I am trying to treat all these issues before I have a clear cut answer to what the problem is why I'm having all these issues in the first place. I am content on waiting for the doctor to call in the order for him to be tested for the vitamin and mineral deficiency and go from there. Two, why would I be upset about removing something from his diet that could possibly do him harm. I'd rather him rip up every last bit of his clothing than to put his health at risk to get him to stop. Seems like a little common sense to me. I'd like to believe I have some of that. I tell you this month dealing with Jordan and his medical issues have been to the extreme. Most of it my doing, but it's been such a great learning experience. I've gone through so many up's and down's that when this issue occurred I didn't become overly concerned. I knew I had a few additions that I needed to look into to see if they were the issue and because of the composure I kept I found out the issue right away because I was prepared. Luke 21:36 "Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy, to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man." What's funny is I am working on a book that talks about being prepared. How when something, whether it be a birth of a child or one with special needs, comes into your life you think you aren't prepared for it. But in reality we really are. God has a way of preparing us for everything in life. It's up to you whether you choose to realize the lesson in front of you and retain it to remember the next time you come across something similar. Will you be ready?


Popular Posts