Being PC

As you know I took Jordan to Pump It Up for his birthday yesterday. While resting in bed with him last night waiting for him to be fully asleep I ran through my head him running around and jumping and how much he looked like a typical boy jumping around and having fun in a warehouse full of moon bounces. While playing he burned his elbow sliding and one of the supervisors asked him if he was okay. Of course I stepped in and said he'll be fine. Jordan looked like he wanted to respond because he was giving the young man great eye contact. But I don't know if he knew what to say.

Rewind back to his last doctors appointment. The one with his primary care physician. As we were in the waiting room a lady and her son came in. Now I noticed that she doesn't pay to much attention to her son. She was called by the receptionist a couple of times but she was focused on speaking with the doctors assistant because she was trying to get her son seen without an appointment. When she finally did come back to the front of the office he tried to tell her they called their name but she didn't pay him any mind. After sitting for a while her son finally noticed Jordan rocking back and forth. Maybe a little flapping of the arms and laughing for no reason. And he laughed. I ignored it because I know he doesn't get to much attention. If he did I think she would have noticed that her son was laughing at a child with a disability and corrected him. Or maybe something like that didn't bother her.


I don't know, but I do know if it was Kaiyah or one of my other kids I would make sure that they didn't do anything like that. My family has encountered numerous people with disabilities, before Jordan even came along, and it was only the right thing to do to correct them from making fun of someones disadvantage. So back to the little boy, when he would laugh, I would give Jordan a hug or a kiss or talk to him to show him affection AND attention. The little boy stopped laughing for the meantime and had a look on his face that was almost surprising. Like he envied the attention Jordan was getting. Then he would just go back to laughing after a while.

After seeing the doctor and waiting in line for my results to be printed, he was still in the waiting room, mother still paying him no attention, and him laughing. I stared at him for a minute. He tried to stop but it wasn't enough and he still kept going. So I just hugged Jordan for the rest of the time we were in there and I looked back from the corner of my eye to see the same surprised look on his face again. Almost like he had no idea that a child could be treated that way.

I am so glad to say that I KNOW if that would have been Kaiyah she wouldn't have laughed or reacted that way because of the respect that I've instilled in her toward other people. If she doesn't understand, she asks questions. And if she were to laugh, I would correct her and tell her that's not a good thing to do and you know what, she would stop.

I know everyone has a different way on how they raise their kids, but one thing you need to do while raising them is teach them respect and morals. All too often I see a lack of that when I'm in the store or wherever. I hate to judge and try not to, but when I have a 4 year old that can say excuse me to people she's trying to get by and kids older than her saying move instead it bothers me. Unfortunately I can only be responsible for how my children react and pray the world as a whole starts to gain more respect for one another and pass it on to their kids as well. We need more of that.

Popular Posts