Article

              Article I wrote for my church newsletter. If I've shared something like this with you already I'm sorry for the repetition, but I did not feel like going back to read all my posts. Enjoy!

Growth in the Lord Due to Autism

               For the past 5 years I have been trying to come to grips with the fact that my son has a disability. From the moment when his language stopped, had a severe rash that left as quick as it came, and then getting that diagnosis. Your son has autism.

                My son was 3 when he was diagnosed. I kind of already knew that from people suggesting he may have it, to the signs around me. I started hearing about autism a lot before I had him evaluated. So when it was official, it didn't hit me to hard. But I also didn't have a plan. I didn't think about what I was going to do next. I just got him into an early learning center and put pictures on the refrigerator to help him tell me the things he wanted to eat. Teachers came to my home to help me help him learn language until he was enrolled. I went through so many ailments with him.  He had constant ear infections, strep, diarrhea and constipation, and the picky eating. It was hard trying to understand what he wanted when he couldn't speak to me. I always had to guess. Sometimes it was embarrassing to have company over and here my son is jumping around, flapping his arms; which is what we in the autism community call “stimming.” But even throughout all the hardships, he was the best part of my life. At the time I couldn't understand why but today I know.

                It’s because of his developmental delay that I have the relationship with God that I have. It helped me grow closer to the Lord. He put this special child in my life to help me realize what I am good at and use it within the church. It made me see the blessings that I had not seen because my communications with Him were lacking. Because of my son’s autism, it pulled me closer to Him. I felt it was something more that needed to be done. Yes the supplements and the diet was helping him, but only God could help me get through the hard times and keep me from going over the edge, and telling me what I need to do to help my son. And ever since I became more active in the church community, and learned what I need to do on my end to serve the Lord, things have become a little easier. I still have hard days, but my patience is at an all-time high. I know my son has autism, but autism doesn't have my son. With doctors, school, supplements, and therapies he is constantly getting better. I don’t think he would be where he is today if it weren't for God placing all the things, and people in my life for me to do what I need to do for him. 

                Each day I see a better person in me as well. The aspects of autism have completely changed me. Because of my son having this disability I needed strength and guidance. I sought strength and guidance from my Savior. He gave me that and taught me what I need to do when it came to treating my son and how I live my life. How I have changed to live my life has created me to be a better mother, wife, friend, and helper; overall a better person. Being a better person has allowed God to show me much favor. And the cycle keeps going. And I know He’s not done with me and my son yet. Thank you Jesus.



Popular Posts