As usual, blogging helps again

Jordan's 9th birthday is coming up in a few days. I have absolutely no idea what to do or get for him. Last year was extremely last minute and by last minute I mean we, well my wonderful husband, thought to get him a trampoline. So we bought one online and picked it up the same day, which happened to be his birthday.

With so many things they tell you are good for children with autism, such as iPads, trampolines, sensory items, etc., we've tried almost all of them. Jordan enjoys his trampoline but ever since we bought him the iPad a year and a half ago back he rarely wants to go outside like he used to. In fact, he rarely ever uses the iPad now. So I'm stuck with the dilemma of what to do for his birthday yet again.

Jordan enjoys computer and electronics. He loves big, yellow construction trucks as well. At least he always picks them out when we are walking through the toy store to let him pick gifts from the Christmas money he receives. But a few days play and they end up under his bed and the hand held electronics we get to help him learn end up in the toy box. It's a never ending battle trying to get him something that will stick. I would love to take him somewhere like Pump It Up to do some bouncing on the moon bounces there for a few hours, but the last time I checked the way they are set up is for only parties. Going from one room, to the next room, then the party room for the cake and opening presents seem a bit much for just him and our 4 kids. I would let him spend a few hours at Chuck E. Cheeses, but that would be a waste of money as well because all he does is ride the kiddie rides. Not really interested in the games.

I hate that this is a struggle for me and part of me wants to not do anything because he doesn't really know that it's his birthday. But being as though I am not autistic, I also have no idea what is going on in his mind and I don't ever want him to feel like just because he had some disability that I didn't do the same things for him that I would do for my other kids. That just doesn't sit well with me.

After a brief research break I see Pump It Up has a "Pop In Playtime". One on his birthday at that. About $10 per child. Not to bad. I'm thinking I can take the younger kids to play around for a while, once we are done, maybe take him to the Toys R Us not to far from there and allow him to pick one toy, and possibly a computer game and call it a day. I think that may just be the plan. I'm so glad I have this blog to make me think and research. It always gives me better ideas than just trying to come up with something with no assistance. Pictures to come soon.


Popular Posts