Never let anyone disrupt your passion

Today I received an inquiry from Jordan's former teacher for the past 3 years. He would have had her again this year had they not changed the boundaries for the school in our zone to end at 5th grade. She asked about his first day at school and for me to tell him they miss him. Today however was not his first day. He starts tomorrow. Once I let her know that she told me she had bought Jordan a birthday present but didn't know that he wouldn't be there the last week of ESY. They have always been very caring of Jordan. They were the ones who alerted me to Jordan's bus being in an accident. The school did call me that same day and I didn't answer, but it was after Jordan was due to be in school. I would have hoped that they would have been concerned a little earlier or at least informed me sooner. Back to the story; I told his teacher that I removed him from ESY because of the overwhelming summer ahead and because I wasn't getting communication from the teachers like I am used to getting from them. She went on to apologize about it and said that the school has told her that she needs to stop giving her number to parents and texting them because they won't receive that kind of treatment from the teachers they will deal with in the future. I told her it made her exceptional and that she shouldn't change that. She said she told them she wouldn't but she still plans to because she feels it's the best way for parents to get a hold of her if they need her. She feels that the students and the parents are her family and the school can't tell her not to give her number to family. We need more teachers like her.

Not only do we need more teachers like her, we need more people like her. Communion service last night gave me the same message. Reverend Gordon talked of Archippus, who is only mentioned in the Bible two times, and the letter that Paul wrote to him. At the end was a very small end greeting, so small it can easily be overlooked. After all most people have probably never even heard of Archippus. The end greeting goes as this: And say to Archippus, "Take heed to the ministry you have received in the Lord, that you may fulfill it." Colossians 4:17. Rev. Gordon broke it down into three points. Take heed - pay attention, to the ministry you have received in the Lord - know your ministry, and that you may fulfill it - follow through. Everyone has received a calling from the Lord. We need to pay attention to what it is and follow through with what He has designed for us to do instead of being all up in everyone else's work. When we are concerned with what others are doing, our work goes undone. Jordan's teacher is a good example of following through with what she is called to do. She sets the bar high and her being the involved teacher she is can actually push parents to require more from future teachers and possibly give them the push they need to be more sensitive the the parents of the children with special needs that they have 5 days out of the week.

I am thankful that Jordan had the teachers he did for the 3 years he was at Rosaryville. As hard as it was for me to deal with the transition from Skyline, it turned out to be an amazing journey. Now that he has to move on, it's unlikely that I will have the teacher of that magnitude teaching Jordan this year. But that's where I have to keep my focus on my destiny. Helping my son overcome Autism. This is the year of restoration. I have to look at this year as it is the last my son will be developmentally delayed and he will only have one transition left. And that is into the typically developing class. The Lord has called me to do many things. Once my kids are back in school, I will have more time to devote to the next step in my lif. That step being to open a daycare that specializes in taking care of special needs children and their siblings. God has called me to take care of the disabled community. Starting with my son. Next came teaching the children with special needs in Sunday school and Bible study. Along side of that helping those disabled persons who attend service via Metro Access get the best experience at First Baptist Church of Glenarden. Lastly I wrote a book on how my relationship with God has had great influence on treatment of Autism in my son. Next step.....daycare. I'm ready to continue fulfilling my destiny.

Popular Posts