Why didn't I see this coming

Three years ago when Jordan started to have these bad behaviors, I looked up many reasons for the changes in him. I came across the possibilities of his blood sugars being imbalanced to not having enough omega fatty 3 acids to the foods he was eating that contained artificial colors, flavoring and preservatives. Giving him fiber for the blood sugars proved to work until I almost overdosed him on the stuff. I don't believe increasing the omega fatty 3 acids showed any improvement. Changing his diet to the Feingold diet gave the best results with small set backs due to my errors. However, now that he has been on the diet for I guess about 5 months, I'm still having issues at times. I did recognize I was giving him way to much black beans at a sitting, which has 3 grams of sugar per cup. I did allow for him to have pretzel sticks at bible study forgetting that not all brands are salicylate free. When I finally did buy the brand that was, I forgot to make sure it was gluten free. I had been screwing up majorly since I hadn't been eating properly. One morning I became dizzy and lost sight for a few moments and had been extremely week the days following. Jordan suffered because of this. But now that these things should have worked it's way through his system and he should be getting better, he doesn't seem to be.

Yesterday he brought his keyboard down to me because it wasn't working. I saw water coming from the speakers and figured it was shot. And whatever he did to it is probably what he did to the Wii since it won't cut on either. This morning when I took apart the keyboard after it still didn't cut on, it smelled like urine on the inside. I know he has issues with wanting to go other places than where he is supposed to so I researched what could be causing this since it's obviously not the foods he's eating. I found a message board that a family had a son that urinated on his TV and broke it and once the TV was removed, still continued to urinate in that spot. Someone down the page mentioned things like this happen when puberty hits, but their child was a little young to be going through that. And there you have it. Smelly armpits and small pimples. I believe puberty was the reason for all the behaviors to begin with. I mean I know the things in the foods the Feingold diet restricts play a big part because there wouldn't have been any improvement at all. However, looking back to when this all started, was about the age of 10, when boys start that cycle of life. His body is going through things he doesn't understand and I never thought twice about it being the problem. Not even when I got a handout from his primary care physician last month after a visit. The thing that kind of upsets me is when I looked up reasons behind a child with Autism acting up or out, not once did I see anything that said puberty. This saddened me deeply.

The Autism community is always trying to educate others outside the community on what our life is like and how others can be more compassionate when dealing with families that have children on the spectrum. Sometimes I feel like when we are getting the word out, some think we have all the answers when we too have to continue to be educated because even though we are alike in ways, we still differ a lot. I am the only person I know that has a son with Autism that is non-verbal and almost 13. A lot of the things I learn about what could be ailing Jordan are things that I find out on my own due to research. As many people as I have talked to that have children with Autism, and some that don't, none ever mentioned puberty. It's just one of those things that doesn't come to mind because our children aren't "typical". Believe it or not our children physically develop just as their peers. Things like this are such a struggle because there are times where our children should be included in normal life issues and there are times when they shouldn't. And we are the only ones who understand that. Parents of typical children can't determine it because they don't have children on the spectrum where as some Autism parents have both. I can't expect parents outside of our community to suggest he may be going through "normal" things when he's exceptionally different. But should I expect it?  Many reasons for my blog is to inform all what life entails and what helps and doesn't help with everyday life having a child with a disability and raising 4 without one. This is no easy task. And to be honest, it seems like most don't even care until it affects them. But that doesn't mean I won't continue to do what I do.

In the meantime, I now have to have "the talk" with my son. His father and I will sit down tonight and brainstorm to find out the best way to teach him about what is going on with his body. We will have to find the perfect pictures and use the best words so he can best grasp what it is we are explaining to him. I don't think it will be that he won't understand, I just don't know what it will help if he's feeling a certain way, and knows why it's happening, if it will stop him from reacting the way he feels he needs to help him cope. Only time will tell. I know one thing, this is something I sure wasn't thinking about at all. And I don't know if other parents of children with Autism think about it, but it is something we need to focus on because whether it is a boy or girl, the time is coming soon and we need to be better prepared for it. Girls go through it sooner than boys, starting at age 8. I hope I don't come across mean when I say I'm so glad Jordan isn't a girl. I have downloaded a tool kit from Autism Speaks that allows us to better understand how it affects our kids and how to prepare for and talk to them to help them understand as well. When I thoroughly examine it and apply what I have learned, I will share with you to help you as some of you may be going through or headed in that direction. We are all in this together and we have to support one another in times of need. I hope my lessons will be of some help. It may be a struggle, but it's nothing we can't get through. "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus". Philippians 4:19 NKJV


Popular Posts