Communication

Last week, I believe it was Friday, Jordan came to me in the evening trying to get me to say something he saw on his tablet. I was under the assumption that it was an ad or commercial because he kept putting on episodes of the Chipmunks and fast forwarding in hopes that it would come on again. After numerous tries with no success he came to my laptop to type in what it was he wanted me to hear and repeat. I understood one of the words and it was the one he typed, play, but I couldn't get the rest of it and he didn't know the word to continue to type it. So after about 10-15 minutes we both gave up. I was really pleased he came to me and was trying to communicate something with me so bad that he was willing to type it so I can read it, even if it was only for me to repeat. He's attempted before but has never gone to the extent he did that day. I wish he would communicate with me about other things such as how his day went or about his friends at school. But this is a start and I hope that it continues and grows. 

Yesterday as he was walking to me with his tablet, I hear a commercial with a popular rap song from the 90's playing. I heard Airheads but didn't catch the play phrase he was trying to get me to copy a couple of days prior. I told him we were going to figure this out, so I went to YouTube on my phone and typed in Airheads commercial. From there I found one with the same music and the slogan he was trying to get me to understand was play delicious. Once I said it he clicked another commercial and said it again, play delicious. It was good to finally know what he was trying to say because I was convinced he was trying to say PlayStation. This effort to communicate with me is one that I will cherish for weeks to come. The fact that my son is excited enough on his tablet and in the Chipmunks to see something that makes him want to share with me to echo it is beyond words. When he was first diagnosed he had no speech at all let alone want to share anything with me. The language he's developed over the years is nothing short of amazing to me and his want and ability to communicate is steadily growing. I'm so proud of his accomplishments.

On another note last night he had some sniffles. Today he woke up congested and with a slight fever. I can't remember that last time Jordan came down with a cold let alone a fever. Better yet, the last time he had a fever was when he started the Autism program at Rosaryville in the 3rd grade. He is now in the 7th. I must admit it is very odd that he has come down with a cold, especially because the weather hasn't become cool enough yet. Not sure what to make of it but aside from a runny nose, fever and coughing here and there he has been his usual self. He was calmer than usual until I gave him some cough and bronchial medicine. It is a homeopathic brand so right after his congestion went away. He hasn't been as congested as this morning but there is still some there. Right now I don't think there is any cause for concern. It is just a simple cold even if he hasn't had one in years. I know I may sound a little overdramatic because of how minor this seems but what is minor to someone who doesn't have a child with can be major for those of us that do. Even a cold may seem minor to a parent that has a child with Autism, but with me continuously trying to build his immune system a cold could be some kind of setback. It's something I'll be sure to share with the doctor next visit.

Even though this month has just started, it has not been the best months. On September 3, 2006, 10 years ago my grandmother passed away. Three years and a few hours later my grandfather, her husband of 63 years, passed away September 4, 2009. This year my father passed away on the 3rd as well. We weren't close and I hadn't seen him in over 18 years, but we spoke every so often. He wanted to meet with me but he never had the time. About 2-3 weeks ago I stopped hearing from him. Because I wasn't up in spirits it didn't dawn on my until about 3 days ago, a day before he died. Life has been full of more downs than ups and ironically Autism related things have been the positive. Jordan's good behaviors, the newest supplements that could be contributing to it and the new diet that I am hoping may not need to be implemented if we find the right supplements to take it's place. I'm pretty sure there isn't but I'm hopeful that if he does have to go on the diet that it will help us tremendously with helping his body heal. I tell you God is an on time God because if it weren't for my son being differently abled, I just don't know where my mind would be. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." Autism has truly served it's purpose right now.

Popular Posts