You get what you put out

As many may know, Jordan has been a complete handful for the past year and a half. Sometime in April of 2015 he started to be insubordinate at school. Following a fellow friend by not completing work and playing around when he wasn't supposed to be. I tried my best to figure out what was the reasoning behind it and remedies to the problem. So many things I thought it was; from the foods he eats to the changes in supplements and even allergens, environmental and food. I also thought it might be because he wasn't going through chelation at that time because I came across an article that stated that when a child has a high level of lead it can cause behavioral issues. So I added supplements back that we had discontinued for a brief period, found upgraded versions of supplements, removed a lot of sugar from his diet, tried to stay away from artificial colors and flavors and added and taken away so many foods to no avail. Well maybe a little, but it was very short lived. The only thing that I added that always was consistent was the fiber. It worked the very first time I gave it to him but I kept increasing the dosage until he was permanently well behaved, however the dosage I was giving him was way too much for his system and he became dehydrated. Once I added it in after attempting to overcome a yeast overload one teaspoon was good enough, Things were going good for a while until I added in a new supplement. Talk about being tired of going through something. I felt like I couldn't catch a break. I would never get this unruliness to subside.

I thought maybe physical discipline could be an answer. If I gave him a small beating with a belt he may get the picture. Sometimes it worked, most times it didn't. Taking away things he liked, watching Alvin and the Chipmunks or playing the Wii didn't work. Bribing him with candy didn't work, especially since that was something I needed to take from him anyway because of the artificial colors and flavors. I was in an ongoing nightmare. It was hard to deal with. Not only because there are times that I need to leave the house without him and need him to act accordingly and he doesn't so I'm always getting a call from home, but because he was now at a new school. The elementary school he was attending he had been there for 3 years. They were with him when he was a calm child and saw the change. The new school he just came in defiant and that's not good. I had no idea on how to get a handle on this situation so how could they do their job? Not only that but this is a whole new group of people that I have no idea how they are going to react to or treat Jordan. I was always a little worried sending him not knowing what was in store, but I always had faith in God that he was not going to be harmed. Psalm 56:3 "When I am afraid, I will trust in You." God put a child in my life with special needs for a reason. I have a path to walk on and a vision to carry out. And as long as I stay on the path and obedient to His word, nothing formed against me shall prosper.

I must admit, sometimes that is hard to live by. Yes we are spiritual and have a spirit, but we are fleshly as well. We were actually born natural people. By natural I mean that we haven't been introduced to God and operate only on human wisdom. The natural person doesn't have the spirit of God in them and therefore can not understand the spiritual truth, it is foolish to them. Once we accept Jesus and are born again we can understand the word of God, but because of how we are born, sometimes it is natural to think "in the flesh" I tried my hardest not to lean on my own understanding, but when it comes to children, parents or family in general many times that logic goes out the window. Many of you can relate to that. We aren't the perfect person. So it's easy to say it but to actually live it sometimes is difficult to do. I strive everyday to do better, but we will never be the unified personality, which is the perfect person because they knew no sin. There were only two that ever existed for a short period of time. They were Adam and Eve. So it's okay to feel how we feel sometimes. God knows and forgives us when we repent.

Jordan just had his 12th birthday July 18th. While we didn't do anything special this go round, he did spend the week in vacation bible school. We gave him a tablet, a sprinkler and a bubble machine. However, few days ago he broke the chain on the fan in my room and it was stuck on. This is not the first one he's broken and definitely not the first time he's needed discipline. Usually I show my frustration with him because he doesn't like for me to be upset at him. But it doesn't cause him to do anything but be upset right back. Crying, stomping and throwing are the reactions I get from him when I yell and threaten a whooping. For whatever reason even though I was bothered by what he did, this time I talked to him as calmly as I could and made him spend the rest of his day in his room doing nothing. No Wii, no TV and no tablet. He ended up falling asleep rather early. I gave him another half day of punishment with nothing and from there he was allowed to watch the Wii, in his room, later on. The response I received from his was surprisingly good. He wasn't upset or crying and I believe he understood the reason behind why he was there. Since then he's also been a little more calm. He's still stimming vocally but not so much physically. He's not spending odd amounts of time playing in the bathroom in the water either. I don't know if it had something to do with his punishment or the fact that he turned 12 but whatever it is, I hope it lasts. I like this little fellow I see now. And I believe I have a better strategy when dealing with his outburst. To God be the glory.


Popular Posts