Home already?

Today is only the second day of school and even though Jordan was well behaved on the bus and at school yesterday, today he is home with me. Maybe the rest of the week as well. Why you ask? I'm wondering the same thing.

Yesterday I took Jordans supplies to school and received word on how well he had behaved up until that point. I did give him both the Gaba and Inositol in the morning and also in his thermos for lunch so he could stay calm. I don't know if it was the reason for his obedience but for now I won't change it. While at home the teacher called me and asked for immunization information. I kind of figured the note to the nurse wasn't going to be enough. However, when receiving the multitude of phone calls from the school stating they have been trying to reach the parents whose kids shots weren't up to date, I wasn't one of those parents. I never received anything personally stating they needed more for Jordan to remain in school. But either way I ran the blood work back up to the school and was expecting some kind of difficulty but there was none......until about time for Jordan to get out of school. I was informed that when all records received by the school were faxed to the health department, they received a notice back from Jordan that titers wasn't excepted for 2 of the vaccines he was supposed to receive. Sigh, here we go again. I ended the phone call with a thank you and proceed to call Dr. K to find out when I can get these 2 vaccinations for him. Her assistant said to send her an email, but by the time I was ready to do so I had forgotten which ones he needed. So I called the health department myself to find out which vaccinations they don't except titers for. While I didn't get the information I was looking for, she did advise me to look for a form I can have the doctor fill out that waives the child from vaccinations. Say what?

I have seen that section on the form before but never paid it any mind because all my kids were up to date when school was set to start, even Jordan. That's not what strikes me as odd. What fascinates me is that they will accept a signed piece of paper from a doctor that the child can not or should not be vaccinated because of religious or medical reasons, but will not take evidence that a child is immune from contracting the disease. It makes me wonder what is really important here. Any parent who doesn't want their child immunized, if they have the right doctor, can have this waiver filled out and have their child remain in school. But the person who goes above and beyond to prove to you without a shadow of a doubt that the child will not be likely to get the listed diseases must stay home until that raggedy piece of  paper is signed. Go figure. I can not wrap my head around this one. It's like get your child vaccinated or not. We prefer that they are and we don't really care if they need them. If they do great and if they don't, okay that's fine too. Mind you I don't know if the school decided this or if they actually received word back from the health department at all. I just know that my son is upstairs sleeping when I know he would rather be at school because he's been asking for it pretty much all summer. Hopefully it won't take long to get things settled.

I sent the form to his Dan! Dr. in hopes that she will be able to sign off on it and mail it back to me within the next couple of days. I don't know if the school with accept a scanned or faxed document so I'm just going to wait it out. I haven't heard back from the office since I sent it over a little after 4:00 yesterday. I'm assuming she will be able to take care of it. If not I may just try to take him to his primary care to have her sign off on it. I don't think she will have an issue with doing so because when I wanted to prolong Kaiyah's MMR she didn't have an issue, but it was just a delay. I never said I didn't want her vaccinated at all. So as of now I'm in the process of constantly checking emails and spam folders just in case the doctor emails me to let me know that she can't sign it or to say it's on the way. I really don't like being in limbo. Proverbs says 26:27 "Whoever digs a pit will fall into it, and he who rolls a stone will have it roll back on him." So I can't be angry because I was the one who said I don't like this time of year of sending my kids back to school. However I am very bothered about why my son is home and the fact that he wants to be there but can't. But hey, rules are rules. In the meantime I'll enjoy the days with him until he goes back.

Popular Posts