The reason

Ever since April of this year I have been dealing with hyperactivity and insubordinate ways with Jordan. My last entry I talked about how everything I tried worked but only for a short period of time. Giving him fiber helped but; it led to a medical issue within him because the amount I needed to give him to keep him cooperative was too much for him. And I think I know why. I think the amount that he needed to remain calm was to show me there was still an underlying issue. Everything that I had removed from Jordan's regimen I had reintroduced back into his diet except for one thing. DMSA.

The DMSA is the chelating agent that helps remove the lead and heavy metals that are contained in his body. We stopped chelation because of the allergen issue we wanted to work on. However, his actions show that it is needed. I have been trying to get the urine collection done so I can tell if him taking the DMSA would help. But I really want to wait closer until his doctor's appointment in the beginning of February so we can start chelation every other weekend not to long after it is reinstituted to him. Today I was preparing myself to get ready to start it up again and decided to see if I could find someone who sells it for a cheaper price than buying from a local pharmacy. Doing that I was paying almost one hundred dollars for maybe two weeks of treatment. Back then I at least had the insurance paying for 30 pills per month and then I came out of pocket for the rest. When I bought the pills for the urine collection last month, I found out that insurance no longer covers the DMSA. For three 100mg pills of DMSA I paid $20. I came across a company that I have seen before that has vitamin c in it that at this point I don't mind being in it if his doctor doesn't.

Looking for cheaper pills to buy over the internet I came across an article that I had seen before but I've seen and read so many passages that not everything sticks in my head. This one stated that lead can lead to ADD and Hyperactive disorders. The correct term for it is ADHD.  Jordan being disobedient most of the time never made me look at this problem to be one of hyperactivity. Yes he can get very silly, but I thought it was more of him showing avoiding behaviors because of being asked to do a task he's not interested in. But reading what I read it's apparent that his problem focusing may be caused by the overload of lead in his body giving the appearance of ADHD symptoms. Now I realize why everything I was doing to combat his issues didn't work, and I'm glad they didn't. I obviously need to get back on track to removing this lead from his system. I am excited yet a little nervous about starting chelation again. Excited for the obvious reasons but nervous because before we go through with it we have to do the urine collection that will tell me how much lead he has in his system right now. I'm a little worried, because of the break that we took, that it has elevated again. It's not a huge worry, but as long as it took to get us to the lowest levels he's ever seen at 8.4 I would hate to see it at a level in the double digits again. But it's not the worse thing that could happen so I'm ready for whatever comes. I've been prepared for this moment since the days of fluctuating levels when we first started.

It still bothers me that when something doesn't work out, I still get a little worked up. There are somethings that I can say it didn't work out for a reason and it not get to me. However, things dealing with Jordan I do not have such positive outlooks on. And I believe for logical reasons. For one Jordan is not just in my care. He has to interact with students in school, teachers and teachers aides, bus drivers and driver aides, and his siblings. To have him act in such a way that is so negative I need for things I give to him to stop the behaviors to work. However, not at the expense of not getting to the root of the problem. I want to give Jordan the best care possible and not mask the issue, but fix them. A lot of children with Autism are being given medications that just cover the situation instead of removing it altogether. I think back to a sermon I remember from a while ago where my pastor, Pastor John K. Jenkins Jr., talked about us rushing through the storm. Unfortunately I can not find my notes for it, but pretty much what it boils down to is we have rain for a reason. There are things that get planted in our lives and things we plant as well. In order for the seed to come to harvest, it has to have a certain amount of water. If we hurry to get through it we may not receive what we need in order to grow. I can refer to so many scriptures when it comes to that. Like James 5:18 "And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit." Or Leviticus 26:4 "then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit." But my favorite is Isaiah 55:10 "For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and do not return there, but water the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater," Trying to rush through Jordan's behavior issues could have be detrimental to his treatment. God obviously wants me to get back on track with the chelation therapy because He didn't allow anything to work that would keep me from finally recognizing what the problem really is. I'm so glad there are some doors He just won't open. Aren't you?  

Popular Posts