No quick fix

Yesterday I was reminded that I need to write an article for my ministry's quarterly newsletter. I skimmed through my blogs because usually I find an entry that I can redo to fit the criteria for the newsletter. However today, I couldn't find one that I wanted to use. I asked God to help me with what to write and He did. What came to mind was something I spoke with my mother about recently where the things I had been doing with Jordan seemed to work briefly.

When Jordan's behaviors started to become mischievous I attributed it to him not receiving all of his supplements while I was out of the country on vacation. I had allowed my mother to give him the supplements I thought he should keep taking while the others he could stop, just so she wouldn't have to struggle to give him everything on the list. When I came back and started him back on everything, the behaviors did not improve. I did research to find out what could be causing him to act differently. That's when I came across information that said that children who don't have regular blood sugar levels can be misbehaved and aggressive. When they receive sugar and don't eat enough fiber to counter it they can become ill-mannered. I started him on a fiber supplement that helped a little, but I kept increasing the dosage until I got the desired reactions from him. But doing that sparked a medical issue that sent my life into a whirlwind.

After giving Jordan 4 teaspoons daily of fiber to curb the behaviors, he started to have hiccup like spasms. After looking for what caused them I came to the conclusion that it dehydrated him. To help with the dehydration I gave him Gatorades and Pedialytes to increase his electrolytes. While it helped diminish them, they didn't completely go away. From there it came about that he might be deficient in magnesium by his DAN! dr. With that knowledge we gave him Epsom salt baths and rubbed a magnesium cream on his stomach nightly. And while that did the trick, it was short lived. From there we found out that if it was a magnesium deficiency, the baths and cream wouldn't do much to help it. You have to fix that internally by eating dark, leafy vegetables multiple times daily. I started green juicing for him again, which did help. But the behaviors were still bad. I found that by juicing I was removing the fiber he needed to help with the blood sugar levels. I then began to sautee the spinach I was juicing so he would get it in it's entirety. It helped, briefly. The fiber that is in spinach actually isn't the fiber that helps control sugar levels. That can be found in black beans. I started giving him black bean chips until I could get to a store that sells organic black beans. That helped calm him for about two days then he was back to normal. And by normal I mean acting out of character. I did all of that and upped the milligrams of omega 3 fatty acids, gave milk for calcium, added Alpha Lipoic Acid, decreased his sugar intake by removing some foods from his diet, and increased some supplements to help get his behaviors back on track while stopping the spasms, all to no long term avail.

It all made me realize that I was looking for something to do a long term job for what was a short term problem. You see too much fiber can cause you to become dehydrated, which can cause muscle spasms, because it absorbs the water that is in the body and not enough is given to replace it. Giving drinks filled with electrolytes won't solve the problem because too much fiber can also create a magnesium deficiency that creates spasms as well. But getting more fiber than needed causes a deficiency in any mineral because it stops the body from absorbing them. So giving him spinach for magnesium wasn't going to completely help because his body was still lacking calcium and other minerals. We can't apply one thing and expect it to work for everything. Same thing goes with our spiritual life. We can't just pray once or twice and think life will be fine. Nor can we commune with God until our issue is over and then neglect Him. Life has proven that time and time again you will have issues that come into your life. Some of it can be avoided. God allows some wrong to happen in life because He wants to draw you near to Him. But if you have a strong relationship with Him that entails praying daily and following His word, He doesn't need your attention. But if you only call on Him when you need Him, your life will be in disarray. I look at it as the equivalent of holding your breath and expecting to continue with no issues. Eventually you will gasp for air and afterward you will be okay until you hold your breath again, then the same thing will happen. But if you continue to breathe regularly, you will never gasp for air.

John 15:6-7 says "6If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you." Stay in His word and watch what he does for you.


Popular Posts