Growth

Right now my son's collection should be headed to it's destination to be tested to see if he has abnormal levels of lead in his system. While I already know it is the case, I am really just trying to find out how high it is so we can get started with chelation again. But instead I wasn't able to go through with it because of the blizzard that slammed our area Friday and Saturday. Because most of the streets aren't plowed as of yet, I wasn't sure if FedEx was going to be able to make it to my home today therefore I couldn't do it this Saturday just past because the collection can be stored for only 1 day. So now I have to do it this coming Saturday so the doctor will have his results by our next appointment. It throws off my plans to help with the respite care but when duty calls. I wanted to have it done soon so he could have the DMSA pull out some of the lead so his ADHD symptoms would subside for school. But because of the storm they have been out the last 3 days. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to have them out the rest of the week so when he goes back his behaviors will be better.

A little bit ago I gave Jordan his dinner. He asked for macaroni and cheese, so with it I gave him chicken nuggets and spinach. As I was taking his food to the table and looking at it's contents, it made me realize that Jordan has come a long way from being a picky eater. I remember when it was just cut up hot dogs, pizza, and nuggets and fries from some fast food restaurant. Getting him to try a new food was a struggle and if he did try something new and liked it, he would only eat it a handful of times before he would pick over it and eventually not touch it at all. But today I can get him to try just about anything if he doesn't ask for it first. Just this past Friday they closed school in anticipation for the storm. I made myself some hash browns and while waiting for my eggs to be done, he's asking to try them. I gave him a small taste and he wanted to eat my whole plate. I made him some the next day and he really enjoyed them. So much that he actually asked for hash browns this morning. Tonight my mother made the family some spaghetti and he asked for that by name as well. It feels good to make a plate for my son that looks like a plate of food the family will eat instead of a plate for a toddler.

It helps that more companies are aware of gluten issues and are putting out brands of their own and there are so many to choose from. There are tons of gluten free pizzas compared to when I first went gluten free with Jordan. If I wanted to give him spaghetti, I had to order a brand online that came in a pouch. Today I can go to the store and buy organic ground beef, gluten free spaghetti noodles and a gluten free sauce just as I do when I make him homemade hamburger helper. I'll admit I may have overlooked these options in the beginning of his diet because I was looking for something quick. Instead of making him meals from scratch, I wanted something I could just put in the microwave, and in a snap, it be done. I was very narrow-minded. Since broadening my mind to the options in front of me, I have found more foods I can make that my son will enjoy. He now eats black beans, spinach, yogurt, bananas, and enchiladas. Most of these foods mentioned you can't get a child with Autism to try let alone eat on a daily basis. I'm proud of how far he has come. Can't wait to see what else he will be willing to try.

I always find that my current situations tie in with some sort of a spiritual lesson. This one shows me that when you are conservative when it comes to your relationship with God, a lot of things won't be offered to you. But when you open up your mind to accept what He expects of you, and actually obey, doors will be opened that you never thought would be available to you. Matthew 4:4, "But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"" We must not be so inward-looking that we don't see that we should be "feeding" ourselves more than "bread". We ought to be reading the Word daily to expand our minds to all God has to offer us that we can use to glorify His Holy Name. If we continue to keep "eating" the same "foods" we will become stagnant in our advancement because we won't have a variety of the "nutrients" we need to live a healthy life. The more we research what is out there to "consume", the more we learn about the many opportunities we have for increase. Let's grow!

Popular Posts