Random

When I first joined the Special Needs ministry at my church, I learned my spiritual gifts and my temperaments. My spiritual gifts are giving and helping/serving and my temperaments are melancholy and phlegmatic. Going through with a fast some women are doing within the church, I found a description of a melancholic person that made me realize that what I feel isn't as abnormal as I thought. Most people can be diagnosed with depression or bipolar disorder because of their temperament and not knowing how to handle it. I'm so glad I decided to go through with this fast and see it to the end. We have just two days left!

At the end of December, the woman's study groups within the church shared that they were doing a collaboration fast for the month of January. We were to restrain from eating sweets, meat and watching TV. At the start of the fast I did not know what we were to abstain from so I decided to stay off social media. And even though I stopped drinking in November, to continue with that as well. We were also to read a 31 day devotional. And that is where I found that perfect description of me. The book is Embracing Excellence: A 31-Day Journey through Proverbs 31 written by Carolyn Tatem, who is also a member of FBCG.

On day 25 it tells us we should learn our temperaments so we can understand why we do some of the things we do. As I stated above, my two temperaments are melancholy and phlegmatic. A melancholy person is an introverted, logical, analytical, and private person. We are emotionally sensitive and perfectionists. Because we set such high standards, we get distressed when we don't meet them and become self-deprecating of ourselves and critical of others. We we argue it's to try and set things right instead of trying to be dominant. We also prefer to be alone. The way the book described a melancholic is that we analyze so much we become paralyzed. I can think through so many things that I can't move. When not led by the Holy Spirit they become moody or depressed. Knowing this allows me to better understand that I need to get a hold of the fearful thoughts within me. The Holy Spirit does not operate on fear so when I feel that coming on, I need to find a scripture such as, Psalm 139:14 which says "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well."

My other temperament, the phlegmatic, is also an introvert who lives and loves to please others. They are submissive and quick to give in. It is hard to say no and they go along with things they dislike in order to make others happy. They are described as indecisive, not me at all. But they are very calm, almost immune to anger. In addition they are excellent and attentive listeners and hate to offend others so they don't resort to aggressive attacks. I'm not sure if the combination of the two are a good thing, however it is who I am, how God created me, and I'm okay with it. It does make for a hard life at times. Because I'm so analytical I have a hard time in my marriage because I look deeper into something than I should which makes me see motives that aren't there. However, it's great to have when it comes to having a child with Autism because I have to get down to the what's and why's so I can fix it; to perfect it. This is the person my son needs because I won't stop until I know why something is happening the way it is. Like the ADHD symptoms he exhibits. I tried everything known to man to understand why he was misbehaving like he was, and I believe I have my answer. Every remedy I tried didn't work because only one thing could solve the problem, going back to chelation.

I do the urine collection tomorrow. So excited to see what his behaviors will be like once we get a little more of the lead out of his body, provided the levels haven't skyrocketed since the hiatus. But we shall not speak that into existence. I will update you ASAP


.

Popular Posts