Not going to be easy


Sunday was the start of our fast. I still haven't completed the book "Fast & Grow Young," but I am almost there. Sunday's reading gave me a lot of insight on how to monitor the fast and what to do when things aren't looking like they should and how to "break" fasting and start back up. There are things I have to monitor every day, so when something takes a different turn, and I don't see symptoms, I know it's time to stop. I really have to be in tune with now four different bodies, because my husband started with us yesterday.

 I thought I was going to have to sit with Jordan to keep him calm, so he does not use up all his reserves. This was going to be hard for me because I still have a home to take care of. Cleaning, cooking, and some laundry still have to be done. But after Monday, he calmed down on his own. More than likely, due to weakness. Today I am feeling slightly weaker than I did yesterday, but that is to be expected. I don't feel hungry, which is what my son and daughter are feeling. Hopefully, today will be the day it will subside for them. If not today, then tomorrow for sure.

So some of the things I have to look out for during the fast for us is temperature. I have to check each of our temps every day. If there is a change, I have to consider stopping. Things should remain the same, while reserves are available. A change in temperature indicates the reserves have run out, and it is time to stop the fast. I also have to look at the tongue every day. A thick coating over it shows the process is going as should be during the fast. Once the tongue starts to look clear, and breath starts to smell sweet, the body has cleared itself of the issue. However, the tongue may not clear before the reserves have run out. That just means that another fast has to be done so it can finish the process. That is another reason why rest is so essential during the fast. The more you do, the quicker the reserves run out before recovery.

During the fast, you are really not supposed to drink a lot of water, only when deemed necessary. I am not sure what necessary is, but I guess it is when you have the real urge of thirst. I have come to learn that when we are thirsty AND hungry, we should not feel pains in our stomach. You should not hurt when you are hungry. The actual feeling of being hungry and thirsty is when our mouth waters and there is a sensation in the throat. When you feel pains in your stomach, it is because the stomach is irritated and wants food to relieve it. Like when a person who uses drugs feel relief after a fix. We have been conditioned to not eat appropriately since birth when we throw a bottle in an infant's mouth. I have been able to feel actual hunger over the past two days. Feels good to just have a watering mouth than a stomach aching in pain. It is a lot easier to deal with.

The last thing I want to share with you is how I learned we have to break this fast. So juices are to be given. And not a whole lot, and not bottled or can juice, but fresh juice. Orange, watermelon, grapefruit, and tomato juices are best for breaking the fast. The first day we start with half a cup every hour. The next day we get a whole cup every two hours. On the third day, we can have a whole orange, and the fourth-day food can be added. It is advised to give the person the food they crave for their first meal if their appetite is reliable. If it is denied, improvement may be slow.

I am still excited and, at the same time, nervous. Throughout the book, it talks about how, when things look dire, you want to break the fast, which is all the more reason to continue on with it. I am struggling to see Jordan the way he is right now, but I have lean-to what I have learned and know God's got this under control. I know what to do when things are taking a turn physiologically. I am capable of seeing this through. God gave me the ability to handle this. He placed everything in my life to help me learn about this and gave me the strength to see this through because this was the passion He laid on my heart. So despite how it may look, this will be a piece of cake. I will no longer be anxious. Philippians 4:6, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and application, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." He has already heard for my prayer for strength during this time. He has always told me He is with me and will never forsake me (Hebrews 13:5). He told me He has placed me here for such a time as this (Esther 4:14).

After realizing these things, I feel better than I did when I first started this entry. To God, be the glory.

Comments

Popular Posts