Mr. Independent

It's been an amazing journey watching my son do things I didn't think he would do when I got his diagnosis of autism. Every now and then I teach him something new to help him become more independent and he flourishes. Proverbs 22:6 says "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." I remember back to the days when Jordan had no language and when he wanted something he would take you by the hand, walk to it and point. Today my baby comes to me and says what it is he wants. I'm in the process of having him ask instead of saying what it is he wants because he's gotten to the point where he goes and gets it without asking. I've seen many of fruit snack wrappers in the trash from him doing that.

I'm so thankful that he is such a happy kid and enjoys being able to do things on his own because he makes a great student that way. Showing him how to lather up his washcloth was what we went through last night. He actually did a pretty good job. Actually an excellent job because he used less soap than I would have and it was just the right amount. So as of now if I start the shower for him, yell into the bathroom what it is for him to do next, he can do it all without me being in there. However I do go in there to help him wash his back. Being as though I have the L-Glutathione that I rub on it every night we have to do a good job cleaning it, but that's next to come. 

These may be small to some, but to the parents who have a child with special needs, who have limited muscle control, or limited in other areas in general, it's huge. Matthew 13:31-32 says 31 He told them another parable, "the kingdom of heaven is like a grain of a mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. 32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds
of the air come and make nests in its branches."
Planting these small lessons into him piece by piece will help him become the fully independent person I know he can be and because it is from God, when Jordan does come into his own, I can give my testimony and give God the honor and praises He so rightfully deserves.


PSA: Friday will be the Special Olympics. Jordan is competing in the 50 meter dash and the softball throw. I will post pictures tomorrow. Have a BLESSED day all!






Popular Posts