Autism bloggers and their opinions

As it is I update my blog maybe once, twice a month now. At first I was once every three months or so after Jordan's visit with his DAN doctor just to give others some insight into how treatment, diet, and test results have changed. I am trying to get my blog seen by as many as possible for those to know that there is hope. May not be what you are looking for. May not be for you, but for those it can help, I want to be able to provide that information and I want to get it to as many people as I can. So I submitted my blog to a few websites that post different blogs by different people and their relationship with autism. Some are parents, some are doctors. And I've learned a lot in just a few hours reading some of the blogs on this one website.

Firstly as I stated above, I don't make too many posts too often. Simply because I can tend to ramble and I know people that do take the time to read (THANK YOU) may not have hours on end to read what I have to say. Not only that but my life compared to other parents that have a child or multiple children with autism, just isn't interesting enough for me to do 5 or 6 small posts in a day. I'm not here to give you every little detail of what goes on in my life, just the important ones. Jordan's achievements, new supplements, test results, you know things of that nature. But I was reading one blog that over a span of maybe 3 or 4 days I read about 15 posts. Some of them may have only been a few sentences, but that seems really time consuming. Not my type of blogging style. They were good reads however and made me realize that we are VERY fortunate to have Jordan be on the spectrum of autism that he is on. He was never a screamer. He never hit himself or tried to do harm to himself or others in the family. He was/is picky at times but it's nothing I can't handle or resolve very quickly. He is very attached to the people of this house and is growing more and more loving and playful towards them every day. He is an absolute joy. And even with him being as wonderful as he is with his autism, I still want him to be as normal as possible. I don't think it would change him too much. But I could be wrong.

I bring up wanting him to be as normal as possible because one bloggers post I read, they had been posed a question should autism be cured. Now I know there are a few people out there whose blogs I have read that said autism was the make-up of their family and it's what makes the child who they are, and so on and so forth. I respect everyone and their opinions so if that's for them then fine, so be it. But this particular one got to me because the person who typed it has multiple kids on the spectrum and from the blog they are not as easy going as Jordan. And the blogger stated that their first thought is no it shouldn't be cured because it would remove a huge part of who they are. They felt like we (I guess they meant the parents or doctors of children with autism when they said we) don't have the right to make that decision for anyone. And that's really where it struck a nerve with me. This is my child and I have to make medical decisions for him and "curing" autism, if there was a cure, would be a medical decision. They believe that to say to cure would indicate that something was wrong with them. Medically there is. They are developmentally delayed. They may excel in certain areas but their brain isn't functioning like a typical person. Hence being DIAGNOSED with autism. Can you be diagnosed with something if nothing is wrong with you?


Jordan is not where I would like him to be, but he is no headache by any means. But I still want my baby to talk, throw a ball properly, be able to be balanced enough to ride a bike, be able to shoot a basketball through a hoop, throw me a football with a tight spiral, brush his own teeth, bathe himself, cook his own food, drive a car, go to college, get a job or better yet play football. I want so much more for my child. And if he were a screamer who hits other family members or himself and was very difficult I would probably want to heal him more so than I want to do now. I honestly do respect the writers opinion to their own families, I guess I just can't understand it. And if me blogging everyday, 4 times a day, doesn't get me into a blogging website so be it. These are my opinions just like the other bloggers have their opinions. I'm here to help others help themselves or just get a little more understanding about autism or families with autism. Take it or leave it.


Popular Posts