Depression and Autism

For 3 years I have been taking the steps I believe are the right steps to help heal my son, Jordan, of autism. But for 8 years I have been raising a child with autism. It's very hard to see your child in this state when you know what your child really could be without this disorder. From the beginning of time it was known by anyone that knew me that I only wanted boys. No girls, no hair to do, no sassy attitudes, no cheerleaders, just my basketball and football players. Throughout the course of my life I have had 3 girls and added a stepdaughter to the mix 10 years ago. But I did get my boy. My Jordan who I named after the great Michael Jordan who was my favorite player since I was about 10. I had so many expectations of what he would be, or rather how good he would be in football because of his size from a few months old, he was built for it. But in July of 2008 it all changed.

I first saw his DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctor on 7/10/2009. We started with the Expanded GI Panel. Which determined if there was any candida issues, sensitivities to food, enzyme activity, etc. Next visit a month later he had to go gluten free and start on enzymes to help break his food down properly, probiotics to help the GI tract and cod liver oil for fatty acids which help in numerous areas. Since August I have added 6 supplements by doctors orders and green juice on my own. Being strict on his diet and not allowing him to cheat even though I want to give him the food he wants. Watching my son grow and not being able to communicate with me like my other kids. And for the first time ever, recently seeing a mothers relationship with her adult son that does not have autism. It has really taken it's toll on me, my body and even my mental stability.

But, as much as I want this to be a sad post, it's not going to be. While typing this I came across some information that's hard to keep me in a sour mood. See I knew there was a reason for this blog, friends, family and my Lord and Saviour.

My cousin, best friend and another friend from high school suggested rest and a good cry. Another friend and associate from Facebook prayed for me and offered a listening ear. And boy does crying and prayer work. Because this morning I had already started feeling better, but not only that, because of the depression I was feeling I needed to blog about it and what has made me depressed over the years. While going through and counting the number of supplements that I have to give Jordan to show how I could justify why I felt the way I felt, I found I skipped over a supplement that the doctor told me to give him OVER A YEAR AGO. A powder called Threelac which is to help with yeast overload. I remember that conversation with her about adding it, but I guess once I left the office, it slipped my mind. I have been trying to work on the yeast on my own, only by not giving him foods that contain a lot of yeast tho. But finding this, even though I was supposed to start giving it to him a long time ago, has made me feel 10x lighter from the burden I was carrying, and not worse, because I know this will help tremendously and it's better late than never. With my prayers to God last night and this morning, and others praying for me, it led me to see something I was missing, the supplement. He works in such mysterious ways, but I see without prayer, I'm always going to be missing something.


So now with adding Threelac to Jordan I have to add more prayer into my life, which I am happy to do both. I knew my prayer life was lacking, but with this being put in front of me, I'm going to find ways to make sure that it never gets put on the back burner or that I backslide again. He has shown me too much to not show Him that honor.

I can see a change in my mood already. My hopes are high and my God is amazing. I have no doubt that this will be a great addition to his supplements and have all the faith that God is going to work His magic and make a big step in helping Jordan once it is added.

Thank you all for being with me on this journey. The best is yet to come and I will updating shortly when I have news to say about all the improvements I see in Jordan once the new supplement is added. God Bless...and know.....

Comments

Popular Posts