Lead testing my house...

I just purchased the LeadCheck tubes that check any surface for lead and I am very excited. I'm excited because this weekend is the start of another chelation weekend for Jordan. The first of four. I always see much improvement with Jordan at the end of these weekends. Whether it be his eye contact, his behavior or his improvement with his speech it's always a positive experience. I'm even more excited because now when this kit comes in I will test most surfaces Jordan comes into contact with here at home and find out what has lead and what doesn't. And once I find what does and have it removed, it should help extremely with his lead levels going down.


I thought the foods and drinks he were consuming were mainly the problem because after our vacation Jordan did not have any rice for a while. No rice or milk. Out of the blue I did a little investigating on the organic milk he would drink everyday and found that it was 25% phosphorus. I was trying to stay away from phosphates and here I was giving him a cup of it everyday. And it seemed like after being home for a while, and not eating rice and drinking the milk, there was a little difference in Jordan. To me it seemed like he was a much happier kid. Now if you know Jordan, you know he is a HAPPY kid, so to say he seemed to be happier sounded akward to say, but I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I decided to keep the milk out of Jordan's diet, but needed to make him rice because going to Wegman's to buy him a few gluten free pizzas at 7.99 a pop was a little more than I wanted to do at that time. So I just bought a bag of rice for a few bucks and used the organic ground beef and gluten free soy sauce already in the house.
The day I made it I gave him a bowl right away. After he ate I decided to check the ingredients *smacks forehead*. I found that there was an iron phosphate in it. I was so upset with myself that I hadn't checked it before hand, but who thinks to check rice for these things. Online research showed me that there is an organic rice and also basmati rice (which is what I bought him), and brown rice that are natural rices. Come to find out any rice that is enriched with anything has some sort of a phosphate. I guess that's with any kind of foods. After that I didn't give him the rice anymore, but the next morning he woke up giggling like crazy. It was like his happiness was not under his control anymore. After days of eating at a normal pace, he seemed to stuff his sausages in his mouth again. I don't know if I was just paranoid or if there was something actually to it. I still don't.

But even with that one bowl of rice that he had, after me taking away the other foods that had phosphates in them like his waffles, regular syrups, and the milk, his lead levels were still up slightly. He had 3 rounds of chelation and urine collection since the removal of the milk and ate that one bowl of rice a little before urine collection. I would think that if the phosphates in the food were the problem then levels would have been down considerably. So this is what leads me to believe that it may be his thermos, or the folding chair he sits in from time to time. I even wonder if it's even in the water he bathes in. I mean I'm sure it's some in there, and it's probably such a small amount that it's okay for us, but for a child with autism that has a hard time detoxifying this may be a problem. And that scares me because I have to give my son a bath. What do I do? Right now I'm not going to worry about it and cross that bridge when I come to it. But I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I've asked the doctor about maybe another form of chelation, which is the IV. I know from when I first spoke with her regarding it I was scared of it but now, because his levels have been high for so long, I wanted to maybe do something faster, scared of the permanent damage having high levels of lead can do. She explained that she doesn't do IV chelation for children under 12 and sometimes there can be a regression. Not only that but she said when you hear of the problems and dangers with it, it's always the IV form of chelation and not oral. She would not do it with her child so I'm not going to risk my son's health either. He's making progress with the form we are doing now. Just the other day my mother asked him if he was doing homework and with expression he told her "No". She was very surprised by that and so was I. But he is learning his yes or no questions and answering properly. He is on the honor roll with a modified curriculum at his new school. I'm pleased for now and when I find out where the lead is in our home after testing, I know it will be better.


Me & My Baby

Comments

Popular Posts