Distance learning week 2 down

This Covid-19 pandemic and the adjustments we have had to make have not changed much for my everyday life. I am already a stay at home mom, so the fact that my kids can not go into a school building during the day is no issue for me. I wouldn't say I liked the days leading up to school because it meant getting up early in the morning to listen to moaning and groaning. After all, they do not want to go. Or they are falling back to sleep because they did not get enough rest. Or I had to do hair in the mornings because cornrows are not the thing anymore. Things this way is more my speed.

My youngest just started middle school this year. I was a little worried because the last year in elementary did not go very well. One of her teachers made her last year in primary very difficult. So while she already was not fond of school, that made it even worse. She has told me she is happy with her teachers this year and not sure if she would enjoy being in school or not. I hope this experience makes her look forward to going back into school, whenever that is. 

Jordan has been doing good during this process. I can be doing other things, and tell him to log onto his classroom or adaptive p.e. zoom, and he will do it on his own. He can mute and unmute and turn his camera on and off. He seems to enjoy being the classroom this way. I can tell he understands school has to be this way because he has not asked me to go to school since it started. The only thing about Jordan I have come to notice is he is not very confident. He needs reassurance about what it is he needs to do. He often looks at me to make sure what he is doing is right because he does not want to do what is wrong. I hope this process helps me to help him be confident and follow directions without prompting. 

This weekend at our virtual Special Needs ministry meeting, we talked about our spiritual temperaments. I am primarily melancholic, with my secondary being phlegmatic. Melancholics are very passive and like to go with the flow. Even though this is considered a weakness, I find it calming. For example, Wednesday were supposed to be free days for CRI students. However, the first week it was determined to be a skills day instead. So on Wednesdays, they will make beds, wash dishes, fold clothes, etc. The second week the teacher gave the parents the option to have skills day Fridays and have a free day Wednesday. I would love to have that day open, but I let the teacher know I was willing to do whatever the majority did because it doesn't change my day that much, and also I did not want to be the deciding factor on whether the other parents get what they wanted. I think part of me staying neutral is, so I won't be disappointed if what I wanted to do, did not happen. I believe that is one reason this situation has not affected me like it has other parents. 

My mind already has too many things going on inside it. Many things that people may not understand. It is hard enough to cope with certain things internally so I choose to make my external circumstances as easy as possible instead of worrying about them not being what I want them to be. Matthew 6:25-27 "25Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in brands, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any It would make my external circumstances worse by worrying because some things are one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Not everyone has that mindset, and that is fine. I like to do what is best for me because I am very easily depressed and can stay that way for weeks or months. Distance learning and social distancing keep me in the comfortable environment of my own home and do not have to interact with teachers and churchgoers. I might be kind of sad if and when things go back to normal.

Comments

Popular Posts