Underestimating my boy

I have been on a health kick lately. Well, not so much a health kick, but being more active. I have an action on my watch that gives me a tri-colored heart when I do 30 minutes of exercise, burn 300 calories, and move for 8 hours. I like seeing this little heart form. So being active daily has been kind of a fun chore for me. Plus, it actually keeps me in a good mood. Seeing I have accomplished something that is of value to my health gives me a sense of purpose. So to be active, I usually shoot basketball with Jordan in the driveway or walk for half an hour on my husband's treadmill. Two days ago, I added a third.

While Jordan likes to shoot his jump shots for hours at a time, I get concerned because many times, the ball goes into our neighbor's driveway and can hit the cars there. Walking on the treadmill does not get him out and give him the vitamin d I would like for him to get daily. Since he learned how to ride a bike a couple of years ago, I thought this would be a fun option. The main problem I have with that is getting the bikes into my truck. It's just not easy for me. It would be much simpler to ride the bikes to the school lot, but would I be able to feel safe with Jordan doing that? There was only one way to find out.

I really was looking for a way out of doing this. I asked my youngest if she wanted to go ride bikes. Of course, she said no. Her excuse, she does not like the sun. Next was to ask Jordan. There was a 50/50 chance he would say yes. But I knew 100% he would say yes. Riding a bike is something that did not come to him easy, but he has wanted to for a long time. With his answer being yes, I either had to struggle to get the bikes in the truck or take that ride on the bikes. I chose to ride the bikes, just because I felt I have to stop doing things based on what I think he can not do. So we took that ride, and he did a fantastic job.

I had to reteach him how to use his brakes, but after showing him the first time, he remembered each time. I had to explain to him that when a car is coming, and we stop, he has to get out of the street instead of just staying where he was. I was still a little nervous about the whole situation, but we got to the school and rode around for about half an hour and then headed back home. I was excited about it. It made me understand that just because I don't think he can do something doesn't mean he can't. The next day we did the same thing.

It is easy for parents of children with disabilities to feel that their children can not do certain things. We have been told by doctors and society that our kids WILL not be able to do things like talk, learn, be potty trained, and some even walk. In the past, I had been concerned about Jordan and doing all of these except for walking. But Jordan has been using the bathroom since the age of 3, talking when addressed although sometimes he may not know what you are saying, and can learn what it is he wants to learn, like playing video games, using scissors, coloring, etc. The things that have been placed in our heads in the past, tends to carry over to our present. It did when I felt he could not ride up to the school on his bike. But look at the outcome. If I had not tried it, we would not be out bike riding. If I did try it and it did not go so well, at least I would know. But my point is, I have to stop thinking my son can not do things that I do not know if he can or can't. I have to find out by trying it before I have it set in my mind that he can't. I did a few days ago, and now I will continue to believe I should not base what he can do on what I see. 2 Corinthians 5:7, "For we live by faith, not by sight." Wondering what we should try to accomplish next.

Comments

Popular Posts