And away with gluten

Romans 12:12 ~ "Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer."

Last night the parent support group I oversee in my church had a check-in, zoom conference call. This support group is for parents who have a special needs child from 3 years of age and younger. One lady involved has a child older in age but still offers support to those behind her. She hears from God about substances to give her child to help with colds and ear pain and any other ailment you could possibly think of. She asked if there were any prayer requests that any of us would like her to pray about to help us with our children. I thought about how it seems Jordan is still having problems with his gut. He is not gaining much weight, although he is regularly eating. While I have been praying to God to reveal to me any medical issues Jordan might have, I also asked her to pray about what medical condition Jordan may have. I feel there is something wrong because of his inability to store reserves for anything he ingests. Today I was pushed to look deeper into why.

I first started by looking up if there was a problem with malabsorption and eating carbs. I know carbohydrates are an issue for a lot of people, and I just don't know if consuming them would be hurtful if you have gut issues like malabsorption. I found there is carbohydrate malabsorption, but not really what I was looking for. I came across hyperinsulinemia, which is excessive amounts of insulin produced by the body because it has a problem controlling the blood sugar levels. I thought this could be a possibility because when he gets fruit, he becomes erratic. However, this can be contained by lifestyle changes and diet. Jordan has been on the alkaline vegan diet for over a year now. And while yes, he has been sneaking foods he should not have, I don't believe he was getting so many unapproved foods that we wouldn't have seen a bigger improvement than what we have.

Continuing to browse, I came across the celiac disease. Now, this is not new to me, but today it looked different when I saw it. I understand people who have this to be sensitive or allergic to gluten. For a very long time, Jordan was on a gluten-free diet. He actually did not start back eating gluten until we started him on the diet he is on now. Spelt flour, which we use for his pancakes and hamburger buns, contains gluten, as well as kamut. I make his soup with kamut noodles. All of the other flours I use, teff and garbanzo bean, are gluten-free as well as quinoa. It is probable that while I removed meat that made his behaviors beyond tolerable, the addition of gluten is still problematic to his gut. This is why it has not healed; therefore, he can not absorb all he needs from the healthy foods and natural herbs he takes.

I have always had a strong feeling that his gut was still not in the right working order. Because of what I came across today, in the next coming days, I will be weaning spelt from the diet. He does not get a lot of soup, and I can always make it without the kamut noodles, so I don't have to ease that out. But the pancakes I will have to start using teff flour or not at all being as though the organic market has not had it in stock for some time. I am not confident this is what the issue is, but being as though he has tested in the past to have some kind of sensitivity to gluten, it's worth removing to see what occurs. Removing it in the past was not accompanied by healing foods and herbs. Nope, just removal. Praying things will be different this go 'round.

Comments

Popular Posts