Food and an ailing body

About the first week in June, I decided to go vegeterian. It was a spur of the moment thing, but needed to be done.

During that week I had made dinner for the family. Something I can usually join them in because a lot of meals I make them I do not eat. Pork chops, ribs, lasagna and some others I opted not to eat a long time ago. However, I still ate chicken, which was what I made. I was not particularly hungry that night, but did decide to eat a couple of tenders. Not to long after I had the worst aching feeling in my neck. I believed it was due to the chicken, but was not completely sure. So the next day I tried another to see if the same thing happened. While it was not as severe, it did make my neck become achy again. It was then that I decided to go off meat and become a vegetarian.

It was pretty easy giving up chicken and the occasional pieces of steak or roast beef. I thought it was going to be harder. But when you set your mind to do something, to see it through is almost a cake walk. To substitute, I found a veggie burger that was amazingly good and fries. I also ate plenty of pizza. That was when I came across another issue. After filling my system with Ledo's and tons of Digornio's, I started to have knee pain. This pain was different than any other pain I had in my knees before. I know that arthritis runs in the family, and every so often I would have pain that would typically go away once wrapped up for a night or two. But this pain was almost unbearable. It felt like every time I stepped down on my left foot, my knee was going to give out. I knew I had gone overboard with cheese, but I did not think it was going to affect me like this. 

It was then I realized I had to stop with dairy as well. I already stopped drinking cow's milk and used vanilla almond milk. But now I had to watch my intake of chocolate, cheese and sour cream. And those things I will miss. However, I like being able to walk and not be concerned about my knees giving me issues. It has been over a month since I have reduced my comsumption of cheese and there is a huge difference in the pains I have. There is none. I used to wrap my ankles and knees at least once every week or two. Since around June 17th, I have not had any issues with my knees or ankles. So even if I did miss the foods I used to eat, the fact that my knees are not killing me and I don't have to walk down the steps sideways anymore is enough to keep me from going back.

Now the reason why I am sharing this with you is because if these types of foods gave me problems, I can not be for sure that they did not give Jordan some types of problems as well. Jordan is usually good about telling me when his ears ache or when he has bitten his nails and/or skin around them and caused bleeding that requires a Band-Aid. However, he also has had a high tolerance for pain in the past. So just because he could not feel it, does not mean there was no issue. He could have had a lot of inflammation within his body that just did not bother him. But since putting him on the alkaline, vegan diet, he is not getting anything that would cause parts of his body to become inflammed. 

Isaiah 1:19, "If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good food of the land." I am so glad God showed me just what my son could be facing by giving me the pains and showing me just how I could keep them from returning. Yes my diet is very limited at this point because I have not gone vegan and eat the variety of dishes that Jordan does, but I feel like I am in better shape than I did when I ate the foods I used to eat a couple of months back (Daniel 1:6-20). But even though this post is mostly about what I have noticed when I changed my diet, it really is to share how I noticed eating certain foods affected me and how they are very well affecting Jordan too. Maybe not in the same way, but they more than likely was affecting his brain and/or his gut. Experiencing what I did has given me a whole new perpective on food and how it affects the body. So if you happen to be having an issue ailing you, be mindful of what you are eating and how it plays a part in what you are feeling. 

Comments

Popular Posts