Getting it together

This will be the third post I have tried to publish in the two weeks since Jordan has had his first LDA shot. I'm going to try to break the other two down as much as possible to get you the information I want to share. If it doesn't work I will separate them into two.

First I want to start off with what LDA actually is. The first post I tried to send out on the 13th went into detail about what LDA is and how it works. LDA is an injection that is given like a TB test. A small amount of serum is placed right under the skin of the forearm. We had to wait a few minutes to make sure that Jordan was responding the way he should be. The "bubble" of liquid dispersed under his skin spread throughout his system and he was left with an area of swollen redness about the size of a quarter. He did an amazing job when getting the shot. I did not have to do much restraining, just keeping his arm still because he does not like needles. But who does?

The LDA shot is given to those who have seasonal, environmental and food allergies. You don't have to have them all, but if you have food or environmental it is good to stay clear of what causes you to have symptoms for 3 days; the day before, the day of and the day after. So in Jordan's case, he will not get the quercetin I give him for those 3 days to get the best results from the shot. But what does the shot actually do? I'm glad you asked.

The serum in LDA (low dose allergen therapy) includes over 300 allergens to help the immune system ignore what shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Each dose you receive becomes more effective and lasts longer until the body no longer considers what it comes into contact with a threat. How it does it is after you receive a shot, T regulator cells increase. The Treg cells address the inappropriate cellular response that comes after coming into contact with a substance. It shuts off the CD4, CD8 and B cells in the immune system that are trying to protect you. LDA is given in increments of two months. This gives the Treg cells time to mature. Giving another shot sooner than that would actually be a waste.

Jordan's reaction to LDA was okay. He did become somewhat restless the first night when he would typically be tired due to his new school schedule and waking at 5:15 in the morning. After that, his tics became stronger in nature and he started to giggle more as well. I will admit that I don't know if it was because of the shot or the fact that I allowed him to have microwaved popcorn for the first time in over a year. Because of the strict GAPS diet and not allowing microwaved foods or even popcorn for that matter, his body could have been having a reaction from that as well. However, that was all that occurred after having a food that he should not have. In times past, I wouldn't have been so lucky.

Deciding to go through with the LDA was not hard to do. I know Jordan has way more sensitivities than I can handle. Being in high school with a different curriculum had me worried when I sat down with his teacher before school began. They do a lot of things that he would be excluded from. Many parents don't have the issue of food sensitivities affecting their children like Jordan's affect him. But because we don't know what the future holds for our kids, who's to say they will never have a problem or that it won't affect their health later on in life. It may not be likely, but it isn't impossible either. I know it's part of His plans for us tho. Jeremiah 39:11 (NIV) "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" I'm glad we are getting started on it now and not waiting until it becomes a more serious issue.

Update on the follow up coming soon...

Comments

Popular Posts