Giving up one for another

Friday I took Jordan to see his primary care physician for his yearly physical. I don't like going to primary care because the question is always raised about vaccinations and other issues I don't want to confront. His doctor is good about not talking me into catching him up on his shots, but there are other things she brings up that I just don't want to deal with. However, she made a valid point about Jordan and the diet that made me second guess how I am going about things. Right now Jordan is in the 26th percentile in his weight. While he hadn't been gaining much weight before hand due to being gluten free, the new Feingold diet is taking away a lot of other foods that is causing him to be at a standstill while he is steadily growing in height. So I had to think about this. What good is it to have his behaviors in order and he end up being malnourished?

I know Jordan is definitely not getting the nutrients he needs because he still has the muscle spasms that I've seen go away with an increase in his vitamins and minerals and magnesium and calcium intake. It's hard to get more calcium in him due to the best source being milk and giving him organic milk conflicts with the cod liver oil he takes. Giving him both makes his nose bleed due to getting too many omega 3's which thins the blood. I gave him spinach to help increase the magnesium and he had reactions to that as well. I also tried black beans, but for whatever reason I don't make it for him anymore. Probably due to me believing it had a negative effect on him too. Either way this is unacceptable. I have to do better because what's the point of having a well behaved child, who still isn't all that well behaved, if he is going to be sick from not eating properly? Which is the reason why when I added brown rice to his diet and noticed he reacted to glucose it turns into, I still continued to give it to him. I also have a few resolutions to getting more calcium and magnesium in his diet.

First I plan to remove the cod liver oil he takes. I am in the process of finding out if it is Feingold approved but I know for sure the brand he used to take from Kirkman is and it has less omega 3's. However, if I give him that, it should be okay for him to drink organic milk without a problem. The milk I used to give him does have 11g of sugar, but just like the rice and bananas, it will be something he consumes at home after school so as not to interfere with class. I will also reintroduce spinach. I believe the problem with him and the spinach wasn't the vegetable itself, but what I was sauteing it with. I have just come across an article that stated that canola oil is a genetically modified product. I have noticed when giving him something that has partially produced with generic engineering listed on the package, he had adverse reactions. Which could have been why when I fried his chicken he had a problem as well. So when using oil for him I will use olive oil for the spinach and continue to bake his chicken as I have been doing. I will also start back up with the black beans. I'm still in search of new foods for him and have introduced beef and rice to him the other day. This should be a good start to getting him back on track and hopefully put some weight on him.

This has been such a roller coaster of a ride. Ever since Jordan started misbehaving, finding out about  the diet and implementing it, up until today I have been going non-stop to find the perfect regimen. Seems there is none. There is no way I can completely remove every food I feel I need to and still have a healthy child, which is the reason I am doing all this. I am trying to make sure everything within his system is working the way is should so he can continue to grow and be healthy. Yet I was working against myself. I think it's what had me down and out for a few weeks. Just worrying so much about his behaviors, diet and lack of nutrition. But someone told me that this was only for a night. Psalm 30:5 "For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; weeping my endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." No matter how discouraged we may be, we have to remember this verse. I am hiding it in my heart to be able to bring it to remembrance any time I am faced with adversity. His bad behaviors have not moved in. The restricted diet will not stay. The lack of nutrients he gets in not permanent. It was just for a night.

Popular Posts