Disappointng


Usually I am very passive at IEP meetings. Not because I don't care about my son's education, but mainly because those coming up with goals for him have a better idea of his ins and outs at school and know what to implement to help him learn what he should and how he should do it better than I. However, this last week I've felt like I need to have an advocate on our behalf because Jordan's school has not heard word back on where he will be placed. He is going to the 6th grade and the school he is at now will no longer be servicing 6th graders at the end of this school year.

I must admit part of me is furious. I already wasn't ready for him to be going into middle school. I don't feel like he is ready, but I know there is no avoiding it and it must be done. With that being said I'm beginning to wonder if there's something more to not hearing anything. I'm wondering if maybe I should find some other program to put him in because of him coming up on an age where he's liable to be lost in the cracks. But the other side of me that always looks at the positive in everything wonders if this is a sign. I know right now Jordan is still nonverbal and has a very hard time retaining a lot of what he's learned, but the optimistic person inside me wonders will this summer be the breakthrough we are looking for and Jordan become a little better off than he is right now. I know even if that does happen we still need to have everything in order now and he can be moved to the appropriate place after. It's just that I've NEVER come across a problem like this before so it does make me question why now? Why after all these years am I now having an issue with his education and him moving forward?

As frustrating as it may be, I'm not worried. Things happen for a reason. It's possible the person who evaluated him didn't do it right and he wouldn't have been put in the right place. I will know that if they say they had someone else come in to evaluate him again. Either way I know God always works things out. There is no way that at the beginning of the school year my son won't be in a classroom that can accommodate him and his learning style. Being frustrated now when things will work out in the end doesn't solve anything. However I will be contacting someone to get the ball moving instead of waiting until the last minute to correct the issues and then having to rush to get things done. I can't wait until I can update you on how things have worked out.

Now Jordan's behaviors on the other hand I just can't figure out. He is still having a hard time following directions at school and tends to pick on 2 of his 4 sisters more than the others. I have increased his dosage of the Threelac to 3 packets a day and he has been on that regimen since Thursday of last week. Now I'm not expecting overnight results, but I did expect some improvement. Doesn't seem like there is. Threatening a spanking just isn't cutting it anymore. I now have to do so and confine him to his room. And even then I don't think that's working. I think it just hurts his feelings for a while and then he's over it. I just don't know what to do. I have reduced his sugar intake and increase medicines and still nothing. He doesn't go back to the doctor until July 7th. I'm seriously considering keeping him home this summer if the behaviors don't improve. I'm at a loss for words now so I'll end with this. "Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You. When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah" (Psalm 61:1-4)

Popular Posts