What's this LKS?

I just came across a picture on Instagram of Jenny McCarthy saying "My bad, my son may have not had autism." I know I haven't heard much from her and with her supposedly being the biggest advocate for her son and all the interviews she did on the subject of autism I thought, why is that? After looking at the picture I decided to do a little investigating on if she really said that and if he didn't have autism, what did he have? I came across an article that said that he may not have had autism but something called Landau-Kleffner Syndrome, or LKS. Really? So I investigate this LKS and pretty much it is autism.

What they are saying is these children most likely lost their speech due to a seizure that happened in their sleep. It happens to children between the ages of 3 and 7 years and a slight male dominance. The onset usually happens between 18 months and 13 years. They develop normally and then lose their languages skills appearing to not understand what you are saying or appear to be going deaf. The treatment for LKS is medications and speech therapy, and maybe a controversial treatment option that involves a surgical technique called multiple subpial transection. Yadda yadda yadda.

Now call me the little conspiracy theorist, but why do we have so many children being diagnosed with autism and if this "syndrome" which is very similar to autism is known about in the medical community, why have children who could possible have this, not been tested or told about this? Seems like it's an out to me. I read that the prognosis for this is the children will outgrow having the seizures and the electrical brain activity on the EEG returns to normal by the age 15 and complete language recovery can happen although some of it can continue into adulthood.

I hate to sound like this could not be possible and all, but obviously this information is out there, why haven't the parents of children with autism, asperger's, etc been told about this sooner? Is it because you now want to put more of this information out there because there are children with autism being recovered and you want to make it seem like it's something they can outgrow. Or because the children that have been recovered, their parents are using methods like I am, going the homeopathic route and you aren't receiving any profit from it so you want to put this idea in our head so we can medicate our kids or have some surgery that will cost thousands of dollars so you can benefit from that as well.

All this sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. Why do they have two different names for the same thing? And why have I never heard a parent of a child with autism ever mention LKS at all? Some doctor somewhere should have said something. But as many parents I have come into contact with you mean not one has been told of this syndrome? There is so much that entails being a parent of an autistic child. And to be honest I'm sick of it all. Sick of the government not wanting to at least require the insurance companies to cover the costs to help these children because of them being scared to admit some fault they may have. These children suffer because of the lack of help and care they can't receive. Sick of all the things that may "cause" autism. Sonograms, plastics, formula, the mother's womb, breathing. I mean the fact remains more and more kids are getting it, do something to help them get better. Stop focusing only the already and focus on the what could be.

I don't get feedback on my blog which is a shame, but if any parent reading this that has a child with autism has been told of LKS in the past, let me know. I'd like to know your opinion of this matter or what was the deciding factor on if your child had LKS or autism

.




Popular Posts