Reality check

We love this hotel!
Nothing like a few days of vacation to make reality seem a little worse than what is actually is. After spending 4 days in lovely Orlando, Florida (Nickelodeon Hotel, our favorite spot) I have realized that my vacation wasn't really a vacation. I was just doing things that I have to do every day, in another state, and with limited resources.


It didn't hit me until just this morning that I never really had a break. Not that I would want to take a break from taking care of my autistic son, it's just that even going to the pool, beach, Disney World, the whole time I had to think about when Jordan gets his next set of supplements, reheating preheated food because of his gluten free diet, and the inconvenience of giving him medicines while out and about. It made me realize just how much mothers of autistic kids have to do to take care of them. It's not an easy job but if we don't do it, who will?
Trying to have fun at Disney World
We returned home about 2am on Friday morning and I had to start chelation for Jordan at 3pm that afternoon. So after an exhausting, fun filled vacation walking around theme parks and spending hours at the pool and beach and driving for hours on end, I now have to give Jordan medicine every 4 hours which includes waking up at 3 in the morning, and Jordan being so excited to be home didn't go to bed until 6 that morning. Also my naps are limited because I still have to give him his daily supplements, feed him and other duties of the home and then attend church and be the lead teacher in the Sunday school class.

This week has been a real eye opener as to how my life is and will be for a while. But I'm determined it will not be like this forever. My Jordan will overcome autism, with my help and God's will. It may not be tomorrow, may not be next year even, but with the dedication, strength, and God having my back I know that it will end. And then I will be able to enjoy my vacations :)

Jordan and Kai with Patrick, all in all they had fun!


Popular Posts