Food for thought

Today started out as a normal day. Then suddenly I decided to do a little research. I wanted to see if there were other "remedies" or treatments on the Internet that helps with healing a child of autism. I've found to keep my son away from plastics, green juicing and giving honey water, to name a few, to be of help so I was looking for other things that could possibly help as well. I came across something that really got me to thinking.

I found a blog written by someone who wanted people to stop trying to help her "cure" her children of autism. Meaning she wanted people to stop telling her ways that could help her children get along better in life because autism was the make up of her family and it makes them the special children that they are. I can truly understand these children that have autism are amazing children. After all I have one and he is the light of my life. When I see him smile, when he giggles at something that is actually funny, just the bond that we have because of it. Also because of his autism, it brought me closer to God and the church. I have to be thankful for autism if not for anything, for that. It almost broke my heart when I read her opinion, but I'm not here to judge her. Only to share what I have learned from her way of thinking.

See at first I was thinking that I know that it's not physically healthy for a child to have this disorder because of what I read, that it is an immune, gastrointestinal and nervous system problem. These systems are not functioning properly which is reason for concern for me and enough to make me want to do something about it. Why wouldn't anyone want to do something about that? And yes my son is special the way he is, but I want him to be able to function better in life when he becomes older. To be able to communicate with me or whomever, to have a job, his own place, maybe a wife and a few kids of his own...that last one is up for debate though :) But overall I want him to have the quality of life that me and his father and his siblings do.



But then as I laid in the bed with him to help him go to sleep tonight, I thought about statements I read in her blog and comments and it got me to thinking about her side. What if these "treatments" I am giving my son are just that? Treatments to help him better control the actions of his autism. What if everything I read about children being able to recover from autism is a lie? I'm not like the lady on the commercial that believes everything that is on the Internet has to be true. I mean I've come across some silly things saying that they can actually cure autism in a child's sleep by some kind of brain stimulation or something and I know that is just a load of crap, but what if these DAN doctors are feeding into parents like me and giving us false hope of our children getting to be "normal" with these natural remedies? I mean I've seen improvement in my son, don't get me wrong, but what if this is all there is? However...

It seems just so much easier to accept him the way he is and not give him probiotics to help his gut, and enzymes to help him break down his food properly, than to give him that and all the other 7 supplements that I have to give him daily. It would be taking the easy road to let him eat the foods and drink all the sodas he wants instead of keeping him on the gluten free diet and green juice for him. And it sure would save me money if I didn't have to buy DMG, Super-Nu Thera, cod liver oil and Vitamin D and not try to make my child's immune system work the way that it should while ridding his body of unneeded toxins. And I would definitely have more time on my hands if I didn't have to go to doctors visits, and to get lab work done and give him chelation treatments every 4 hours every other weekend to help get rid of heavy metal overload and just let him keep all those nasty toxins lurking around in his body. But what kind of mother would I be if I didn't at least try everything I could and it didn't work, and instead just except what is and never know what he could be. I would like to think that if I had the chance to get him to communicate and be more social, he would want me to try to help him, because he tries to communicate with me now even when he has no clue as to what he is saying. I can't imagine him saying to me, "Mom, I liked when I couldn't talk and you had to teach me what to say when I didn't know. Why did you change that?" if he was to become like kids without autism

I want to believe that he can be just like my other kids. I believe I know the reason why he has autism. I know that when Jordan would go in the basement on his own to get Aldi's brand of soda, around about the time I had to do a urine collection, there was a spike in his levels of tin. There has to be some truth to the heavy metal build up right? Or did they just know what was going on in my house to make it look like he had a build up of tin? After I stopped giving him can sodas and rounds of chelation, I rid his body of an overload of tin, and haven't had any problem with that metal since. So things should look good after I get rid of the lead which is more harmful to the body and brain than any other metal right?

I hate that I'm thinking that there IS a possibility that this is the way that my son will be forever. Even though I love him the way he is, I want so much more for him and honestly no matter what any parent of a child with autism says they have to know that even though they are extraordinary in lots of ways, they are also limited in ways too. But I'm glad that I'm not so one sided any more, and that I have had my eyes opened in ways they weren't. I will keep the faith that my son can be like any other child without autism, but I also know now that if that's not in God's plan, and my son should not progress any more, or if he does and it's not what I was expecting, I won't be so upset in knowing that I tried to do all that I can to help my son, but this is the way it's going to be. I really believed that my son was going to be healed, couldn't tell me otherwise. But now reality has set in that there is a chance this is it. And I'm okay with that. I'm still going to do all I can, while I can, all while knowing he is MY special little boy, autism or not. And nothing can take THAT from me.


My heart!

Popular Posts