Doing more harm than good

For the past couple of weeks Jordan has been having some sort of stomach spasms and gagging. At first I thought it was one of his little quirks he picks up every so often and stops after some time. When I thought he had been doing it long enough, I told him to stop the action. I thought that he did, but he didn't. Something in me told me to really sit down and look at him to see what is really going on. What he was doing seemed like it was the hiccups, but coming from a little lower, in his abdomen or stomach. I realized this was something he couldn't control. I looked up what the spasms could be, if they were spasms at all. What I found was when a body is dehydrated, it can cause muscle spasms. In his case I thought he was having abdominal spasms due to the fiber he was taking. Even though I was giving him more water when he took the fiber, I wasn't giving him more throughout the day. Since I thought he was dehydrated I started giving him more water with everything. But after a few days of more water intake, he still continued to do it. I researched more and saw that too much fiber can make you bloated. So then I wondered maybe I was giving him more than was needed for his size. I discontinued Monday, and while it has decreased, the gagging/spasms are still occurring, especially when he eats or drinks. I want to say it's going to take some time to go away because it took time to get to the point where he is now, but something wouldn't let me give up.

That may be because this might not the problem at all. Yesterday we went to the DAN! doctor to go over any issues/concerns/behaviors or what-have-you, to figure out what our next step will be. I brought up again the issue of Jordan's skin rash which I now believed to be Tinea Versicolor. I told her I had been using a fungal oil on it that I found at Nature's Common Sense. She asked what was in the oil. Luckily I brought the book with me. I don't know why I decided to bring it when I had never done so before, but I'm glad I did. When I read off the ingredients to her, the last one I said was almond oil. Now as far as I know, Jordan still has an allergy to nuts. I didn't think much of the fact that it was in there other than I will discontinue it. She suggested that I put Selsun Blue on the area at night and wash off some point the next day. She says it works so well that it can cure it, but because this is something that is hereditary we would have to do something more to make sure it doesn't come back. So in turn I have 2 more supplements that I will have to give him. This morning I was led to look at allergic reactions when coming into contact with almond oil. What I found was that to much almond oil can cause gastrointestinal problems. Which coincide with Jordan always gagging and sounding like his food is about to come back up. The last time I put the oil on Jordan was Sunday night. So even though he isn't getting anymore, if he does have an issue with his GI system, only the probiotics and time will be the resolution to his symptoms.

After realizing I could have seriously hurt my son by giving him something that I didn't fully read up on, it brought more truth in needing to consult with God before any decision is made. Proverbs 15:22 states, "Without counsel, plans go awry, but in the multitude of counselors they are established." I didn't confer with anyone or anything. I decided myself this was something I thought would better help my son. But if I had of taken the time to consult God, He would have directed me to look more in-depth into it and I may not be having this problem today. Either way it is a reminder to myself to always, ALWAYS find out more information about what it is I am giving my son. I do investigations on his food, drinks, toothpastes and shampoos, but never thought to check on this because it is natural. Not realizing that even though it is natural, it could have some allergens, like almond oil, that isn't good for him. Now I am playing the waiting game. Giving him no fiber, which also is found in almond oil, until the symptoms go away. I hope to much damage wasn't done so it won't take long. I don't know if it is hurting him or not.

As for the new supplements I need to add, they are a yeast aid, a form of garlic and something to help with his anxiety. The Yeast Aid is going to help aid the Threelac rid the body of the yeast that may giving him the bad behaviors he had and also aid in the fungus that may be in his body, which is showing through the skin rash. Kyolic Garlic is going to be given because it supports and strengthens the cardiovascular system. For those that don't know, the cardiovascular system is an organ system that allows blood to flow through the body so it can transport nutrients, oxygen, blood cells, etc., to and from cells in the body to help fight off disease and maintain homeostasis. Homeostasis is the property of a system that helps regulate variables to stabilize internal conditions. Lastly the Inositol. Finding information on this supplement and being able to properly break it down to understand wasn't easy, but I'm going to try to do as best as I can. Inositol is a non-essential member of the B-complex family with dietary sources found in both animal and plant foods. The form of Inositol used in the brand she recommended I give him is called Myo-Inositol. Why they just don't call it that I don't know. Anyway, it is the greatest form of this nutrient that is absorbed best in the brain and central nervous system. That is important because it plays a significant role in neurotransmitter signaling, which helps with anxiety. In addition to that, is it very critical for the proper action of insulin, the hormone that allows your body to use sugar. Whew! So with the addition of that, we may not need to continue on with the fiber. Only time will tell once it is added. She did say I may see some regression when adding one of these supplements due to the body getting use to what the supplement is doing. Which is minor in my eyes.

Over all I believe that the addition of these will truly help Jordan in the next coming weeks. I will pray to God to make sure He is pleased in the decisions of the doctor and move forward once I
receive His ok.


Popular Posts