Another year of ESY


Today starts another summer that Jordan is attending ESY. Every year since his diagnosis and placement in school, I guess that would be about 6 summer's he has had to wake up every morning 3-4 days out of the week to continue with his education because of autism.

This year I almost opted not to send him. As it stands Jordan just has a hard time retaining things he has no interest in, no matter what. So even in a typical school year, if a lesson was taught and you revisit it oh lets say 3 weeks later, he still needs to be taught it again. But I sent him because Philippians 2:3 says "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." I would be keeping him home because I want him here, not to try and better his learning process. And also I sent him because if he were to suddenly catch on, my hopes are, it's good to give him the opportunity to do it because at home he just plays around, goes outside on the trampoline, you know, regular things a kid does during the summer.

Yesterday was supposed to be his starting day but for whatever reason I did not wake up. I don't even remember cutting the alarm clock off. So today is his start day. I'm not going to say I was looking forward to taking him to school today because he goes to a school out of our district for ESY so it's not right up the street. When I saw the bus pull up that moment was bittersweet. ESY is always bitter, but the bus coming allowed me not to have to take him. But I was met this morning by two unfamiliar faces, the aide and the driver. As a parent of a special needs child, sometimes it is hard to send your child off because of things you see in the news about the mistreating of these children. And the fact that most of the kids are non-verbal and therefore cannot tell you what is happening to them is extremely difficult to deal with. But I meditate on Psalm 118:8 "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." I trust the Lord will keep my son safe and let me know if something is not right. He is an awesome God. I would hope that if something bad happened to Jordan he would be apprehensive about getting on the bus, but I don't believe he would react that way. I think he likes the bus, and school for that matter, so much that he's just excited to go. I actually think he was a little upset with me yesterday morning because he didn't go. I had been telling him all night he had to go to sleep soon because he had to get up early in the morning.

Well I have already made up my mind about next year's ESY. I plan on not sending him. For a couple of reasons:

  1. I'm believing he will be mainstreamed by then.
  2. If not, I want him to have a summer that he can have fun and not worry about school.
  3. I want to have a summer of fun and not worry about school. :) (So much for Phillipians 2:3 huh.)
I'm over ESY!

This year for his birthday I'm hoping to have a party at Skyzone for him. I know he would enjoy it. I'm just a little worried because they provide you with pizza and depending on the package you choose they offer a cake as well. I just did research on the cake and the place offers a gluten free cake. I would be willing to let him have a cake and a party because that's not something he's been able to truly enjoy since starting to go to the DAN! doctor around the age of 5. I would just ask if I could bring his 1 little pizza in and hopefully it would all work out. I want him to enjoy his 10th birthday.

Popular Posts