Cause and effect: Is it Celiac or something else?

This new journey has been up and down. It's not really bad, but it's frustrating, to say the least. Living as if Jordan has celiac disease is complicated. But before diving into how significant cross-contamination is, let me talk about my newest finding with some of his supplements.

The newest phase we needed to take was to help the gut. We needed to uncover hidden things and remove the harmful ones to help the beneficial ones flourish. Introducing some of them increased Jordan's stimming quite a bit. I tried to give it some time, but things weren't improving. I then did something I should have done from the start: I checked the ingredients. Two of them included mushrooms and nuts. It was evident that his ingesting these was causing inflammation. I wanted to continue them because the other supplements improved other areas. However, when the gut is inflamed, it simply can not do the job it is supposed to do. It would be a waste to continue with them and think they were helping.

I stopped using all the supplements in this phase and contacted the doctor for advice. She suggested three other supplements; only one had a fungal element to it. She expressed that I could do two out of the three and that they did not have to be implemented individually. I ordered Para 1 and 2 and started them on Monday last week. I thought introducing them took effect immediately because he was extremely calm after his first and second doses on Monday and Tuesday, with no stimming whatsoever. However, on Wednesday, it returned. It was then brought to my attention that he was calm the entire weekend. I was out of town, so I wasn't aware of it. I now had to think about what happened outside the two newest supplements that caused the regression. 

There could have been cross-contamination with gluten. My husband is much better at washing his utensils after Jordan eats than I am. It's possible that the way I am handling things with Jordan is problematic. Which is why he did so well when I was away. However, I'm not totally convinced that is the case because I left on a Friday morning, and because the slightest trace of gluten can last months in the body, my not handling things for a day wouldn't have made him so calm, so soon. I then thought it could have been the shampoo or the sauna. He had not washed his hair in some time, nor did he get in the sauna because he got home earlier than me most days last week. It's hard to pinpoint because although he has been calm at times in the past, it's different now, knowing he has a potential life-long disease that can contribute to inflammation easily. 

Fast forward to Saturday; it has also been a minute since I had given him a coffee enema. I noticed shortly after his stimming increased again. I looked up coffee enemas for those with celiac disease. While coffee is gluten-free, I read that the coffee could cause inflammation due to the chemicals in the coffee beans. Although the coffee I use for him is organic and should not have chemicals because it has not gone through the decaffeination process, there is a specific type that should be used to get the best benefits. For now, I will not give him another coffee enema.

Today, there is still stimming, but it is decreasing. It is frustrating to hear Jordan stimming, but I have to remind myself that inflammation does take some time to go away. I will set aside a plate and bowl for him so others won't use them, and there will be no cross-contamination in that area. Aside from that, I will research another shampoo, although I am still determining what could be the issue with the one he uses now; no more coffee enemas at this time, and we will see how things look in the next couple of days to weeks.

Patience will be key right now: Romans 8:25, "But if we look forward to something we don't yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently."


Comments

Popular Posts