Realization

Last month Jordan had an appointment with his DAN! Dr., but this one ended differently than any other visit we have ever had. EVER! It didn't dawn on me until I was ready to share the experience. It was a confirmation that what we are doing is right.

June 18th, a Monday, was supposed to be my last day of class. I had already rescheduled his appointment the month before because it fell on the day of the Special Olympics. I really didn't want to cancel this one and wait another month to get in there. My facilitator was okay with me missing the day, so we continued with it. Prior to, Jordan had been doing extremely well. Once we removed the fish oil and foods that are high in histamines, he became a better-behaved child. Not where I would like, but not where we were either. I didn't receive any calls home or notes that he was inappropriate after finding this to be the issue. After explaining to the doctor all the ways things had improved and the setbacks I saw at home when he had chips or pretzels, she asked me if I wanted to add anything else. I had to think for a minute. However, not to long of a minute.

The protocol Jordan is on doesn't want any other supplements given than what is required unless medically necessary. Like if a test proved he was deficient in a vitamin or something. Magnesium is the only thing that is allowed with no issue. Usually parents give it to their children when having a problem with constipation or diarrhea. Jordan's body screamed of being deficient in magnesium with his low tolerance of high histamine foods and muscle spasms. Once I introduced a brand that did not have any flavors added to them, we were good to go. Therefore, I did not want to add anything else. I was going to try to eventually add in the vegan epa/dha pills again when I felt it wouldn't change his behaviors. That's coming up soon.

This was the first time that I walked out of there with no take home instructions to add a supplement. It's not that I didn't want to hear a recommendation from the doctor about what to give him that could yield even more improvements. But there are two reasons why I didn't: 1) like I said the protocol doesn't call for the use of any supplements other than inulin, oils and occasionally magnesium. I didn't want to stray because we have seen major growth with two of the three. 2) Wanting to hear what could make things slightly better meant I wasn't content or patient with what I was seeing. That I couldn't wait for these things that were working to continue to do their job, simply because this wasn't moving quick enough. 1 Timothy 6:6 "Now godliness with contentment is great gain." (NKJV) To be honest I think I would see more improvements once I add in what he couldn't tolerate. That's the missing piece right there. No need to bring anything else.

A little while after school ended Jordan's anxiety seemed to return just a little. I wasn't sure if it was allergies because my middle daughter and I were also being affected as well. There was also the routine change. Since he was no longer in school, I wasn't sure if sitting in the house was playing a part as well. He didn't do ESY last year, but he still likes to leave the house regardless. So up until a few minutes ago I really had no idea what the reason for the regression was. A week ago, I was supposed to look up what the signs of an omega 3 deficiency looked like. Starting this post reminded me to do so. I took a break to research and the first website I clicked on had a picture of a hand with peeling skin. Jordan's skin on his hand had started to peel while in school and up until a few days ago was still doing so. He still has peeling skin on his feet. When I got down to the symptoms they were:
  • rough or dry, bumpy skin
  • dry, dull, brittle hair and dandruff
  • soft, peeling or brittle nails
  • excessive thirst, frequent urination
  • sleep problems
  • attention problems
  • emotional sensitivity
It looks like it's time to start back up with the vegan epa/dha. I have a few days before VBS starts up to hopefully have enough in his system where I can see if it is doing him more good than harm. I'll keep you all posted. 

Comments

Popular Posts