Does everything happen for a reason?

Tuesday nights are the nights my church holds Bible study. On those nights Jordan, my youngest daughter and I are there for them to learn and me to teach. In our classroom we keep many gluten free snacks for the kids who use our services. Not all of them require it, but we give it to them just the same. Most times we have veggie straws or Jordan's favorite, pretzels. Two weeks ago the leader brought some in after being out for quite some time. That night I gave him one pretzel just because I felt like being generous. 😆

The next week he bugged me pretty much the entire class for a paper towel of pretzels. I did not want to give him any because I couldn't remember if that one I gave him affected him in the previous week. The following Wednesday Jordan was giggly and had increased stimming. My first thought would have been the pretzels, if I had of given them to him. However, I didn't. Which means there was no reason for him acting in the way that he did. Or was there?

As much as I want to blame food for Jordan's actions, the truth is, they don't always occur because of something he eats. I believe that, because they are happening less and less even with occasional cheating. I guess it's just what's happening to his body right now. Who knows what the process of healing the gut after years of whatever issues it had due to the bacteria overgrowth looks like. I just know it is a long and trying one. I always have to remind myself it didn't get this way overnight and it won't get better overnight either. But I steadily see small improvements. Less jumping around and verbal stimming, sitting calmly more instead of rocking, less outbursts and giggling sessions and better comprehension. Having Jordan on the anti-histamine diet while doing the Nemechek protocol has helped Jordan tremendously. I'm not going to say he is the perfect child now, but the calls from school have completely stopped and the negative behavior notes don't make it home anymore. Removing the fish oil (epa/dha) and fish soup have had the most impact. His behavior at school and church improved once they were taken away. I'm a little upset it took me this long to realize the problem.

Realizing that food hasn't always played a part in why he did the things he did can allow for me to give him some snacks he wants more freely. I will still stay away from the sugars for some time and we will stick with the anti-histamine diet because I know that was a major factor in the past. When his list of foods grew from only nuggets and pizza to hot dogs, spaghetti, cheeseburgers and fries and fried chicken legs, ketchup came along with them as well. Tomato is something to avoid on the diet. However, the foods I feel I can give exception to, are chips and pretzels, which are salty foods he should also avoid on the anti-histamine diet. But in a way I feel it is my gauge. When I give these to him and he doesn't act out of sorts, to me it shows how well the gut healing is coming along and foods are not leaking into his body. It's almost like he was made to act in a way after not getting the pretzels to show me this lesson. Okay God, do your thing.

It's funny because originally this post was to be titled "Not everything happens for a reason". I wanted to talk about how he acted and that it wasn't due to getting a food that is prohibited, therefore for no reason. Yesterday I started writing this but I just couldn't get it together. It didn't sit right with me. God never ceases to amaze me how He does things. After learning something about myself that I wasn't aware of in a devotional and working on applying the proper changes, I was able to clearly see the message He was giving to me and therefore gave this post different meaning. Does everything happen for a reason? Scripture says that everything happens at the time God chooses. Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NKJV) says "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven,". I guess that's why this wouldn't flow when I wanted it to say not everything happens for a reason. It goes against God's word. This isn't the first time I've tried to blog and I didn't feel right about what I was trying to get across. If is it not of God, it will not work (1 Corinthians 14:40).


Side note: This past Monday Jordan was promoted to the 9th grade, yep my boy is going to high school in the fall. When Jordan walked out with the rest of the 8th graders he was walking without jumping and skipping, stood when required and sat without stimming for majority of the assembly. Toward the end he started his giggle and stimming session. The best part of it all was when his name was called. He was directed by his aide to go and get it and he walked up, took his award and shook everyone's hand. Normally he grabs his folder, holds his ears and walks off. As small of a feat that it was, it made me see just how far along he has come. Seeing him dressed up in his slacks, white polo and dress shoes while he slightly towered over me is a little bittersweet. But I'm claiming in 4 years, he will be graduating with the class of 2022. In Jesus name.

Comments

Popular Posts