Structure

In my county, our kids returned to school from spring break this past Monday. I can't remember how long Jordan had been home prior to returning, but it was a while. That Thursday prior to, something came to me. I had been reading up on questions Dr. Nemechek receives on his website and his replies. Someone questioned him about the use of allergy medications because of their child having a problem with seasonal allergies. Then it dawned on me; even though Jordan had a skin test, years ago, that showed he was allergic to seafood, I never thought the fish oils could be problematic with him. However, I couldn't rule it out just because he had been taking oils since pretty much day 1 of treatment. A lot of things within his system have changed since then. After contacting his doctor about the matter, she said to discontinue fish oils and any seafood he may consume and place him on a low histamine diet. I had already decided before that I would not give him the EPA/DHA and/or find a vegetarian version and the foods I give him on GAPS diet, only consisted of one food I needed to remove, avocado. I haven't given him the oil since that day and I have noticed a huge difference in him. I was pleasantly surprised when I explained to him why he wasn't going to receive avocado anymore that he only asked once and I haven't heard anything more about it. Things were looking good.

Monday comes and I'm confident Jordan is going to have a great day, and he does maybe up until the last 5 minutes of class. Tuesday comes around and it starts all over again. I thought maybe he had grabbed one of his classmates snacks because I'm pretty sure none of the kids in his class is on any kind of restrictive diet. However, the teacher assured to me he hadn't. So again it was a struggle to get him out to the car and even bribing him with pizza and chips didn't work because he wanted to be there. Since it was Tuesday and we had Bible study, I brought the issue up with my mentor and the director of the Special Needs Ministry and she asked me what was the only difference between the school and home environments. Structure. It appears he was becoming calmer at home because it was routine to have no routine. But once the reinforcement of directives at school came back into play, it was too much for him to handle. To keep him leveled, he needed to have structure at home as well. I rolled my eyes at the thought but I had to take it seriously so he could learn that he can't do whatever he wants at home and have that transferring over to school. Yesterday and today I have been working with him non-stop trying to implement miscellaneous rules around the home. Having him sit at the table and wait for his food to be brought to him, lesson repeating by gesturing for him to close his mouth, cutting time on the DS and tablet for work lessons and when a negative behavior is seen, removing his desired item until the appropriate behavior is seen for some time and rewarding him with time on the devices. He's doing very well today.

For years my husband had been telling me I allowed for Jordan to do to much. I want Jordan to be independent and he is very much so. I don't allow him to make his own food due to the nature of how it has to be warmed, I just allow him to turn on the timers, but I don't have any doubt that he can't do it if he needed to. I let him follow me wherever I went and pretty much do whatever so I wouldn't have to deal with the aftermath. I thought home was supposed to be where he could sit back and not worry about rules and regulations. But, we are not dealing with a typical child and it's obvious that isn't what's best for him. If only I would have listened to him sooner. Ephesians 5:22, "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." I remember him telling me on many occasions I need to give him more discipline, but I know by discipline he meant structure. For years I believed that I had to tiptoe around Jordan so he wouldn't have outbursts, but he had outbursts because I tiptoed around him. Go figure.

I certainly don't have the answers for everything, so I'm not sure if this will remedy the issue at school because being at home is most of the time calming for him. However, giving Jordan commands yesterday compared to today I already see how's he more compliant and easier to calm down. And while I do hope that it will prove to be effective so he can better follow directions at school, I don't want to over do it and nit-pick about everything. I would like him to continue to have some of his quirks so he can feel like he's in control of something. I'm not sure if taking all, like the closing of bathroom doors or how long he stays in the bathroom when he's done, would make matters worse or not. However, I'm not beyond removing it if need be.


Comments

Popular Posts