Christmas


First and foremost I want to wish everyone of you a Merry Christmas from my family to yours. Thank you for walking with me this year as we learned together what makes this family run and what could help you and your loved ones or friends. Thank you for taking time to read what comes from my heart whether it be to get guidance, understanding and/or knowledge. Whatever you gain, I pray that I can continue to supply you with much more in 2017.

This year, I believe was the most successful when gifting all the children in our household, especially Jordan. I'm not sure if I said in a previous post my thoughts for gifts him this Christmas. He is usually hard to shop for even though he likes simple things. Last year his favorite present turned out to be one from his uncle which was a digital watch he wore for a few days. However, it hasn't been touched since. The sand was also a hit, but he couldn't keep it it in the huge sandbox I bought it to go in so we tossed it not to long after. So this year I tried to keep it simple but enjoyable. The first thing that came to mind was the bubble machine. He enjoys blowing bubbles but really got a kick out of the automatic bubble blower in the classroom at Vacation Bible School. I got him one for his birthday that didn't do so well so I replaced it with the same one from class. I'm not sure if he added the bubble solution from the countless bottles he had in his room but it's not performing the same
The second gift was a keyboard. Often he asks to play his sisters small piano. But because of his recklessness I decided not to allow him to do so anymore, but he continually asks anyway. His is much smaller, but gets the job done. He has a microphone hooked up to it that he used while the automatic music was playing two nights ago. I'm not sure if that is favorite or the motorized car on the build your own track. He opened it Monday and has been playing with it ever since. I believe he likes this most because the cars are on repeat. They continuously go in a circle, just like he watches his TV shows.
   
Things as far as the diet are going well. Removing the salicylate containing supplements, oil and coconut flour for his chicken has shown small improvements. He is extremely calm. Even his anger is calm. He still gets a little frustrated and doesn't like to follow directions when he's told to go to his room, but it is very short-lived and not as explosive as it used to be. I'm still working the kinks out though. I've found that soda isn't the best thing for him to have. Anything with high fructose corn syrup contains corn gluten. Which is why in the foods list 7-Up and Sprite are not listed as gluten free. He has been asking for soda non-stop since I reintroduced it to him. I have looked for an alternative and as far as giving him something with some flavor because he has been getting nothing but water for so long. I think I will go with Simply Lemonade. Easy to find and tastes pretty good. I also want to start giving him the french toast sticks he used to eat because they don't contain soy like the waffles. I will probably cut back on the pretzels too because they contain corn starch. Even though his tics have decreased, I still see them from time to time. I want to remove everything corn for an extended period of time to see if there is a connection. Honestly, I'm about tired of this waiting game. But anything worth having is worth waiting for, right?

The definition of patiently is bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like. I learned to wait patiently due to various trials in my life. But Autism has almost perfected it. Trying different supplements, diets, homemade concoctions to help get oxygen in his blood for over 6 years has definitely shown me how to handle things calmly. Getting worked up doesn't change the outcome, it just gives me added stress that is not needed. After 3 years of trying to address the negative behavioral issues with Jordan, I can't expect that the diet with fix everything within a week. Galatians 6:9 (NIV) says "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." It's hard to believe, but after 7-8 years and umpteeth dollars later, I'm still going at it. But I refuse to give up because God says so. I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but God has big plans for Jordan. He set me on this path for a reason. He has a lot of information he needs me to gather for whatever reason and I will be prepared to do what is needed with it when the time is right. Can't wait for 2017! Happy New Year!




Popular Posts