My open letter


                Yesterday I spoke with a friend of mine whose son also has Autism. She informed me she came across an open letter that someone had sent to her in an email or text about when they accepted their child’s Autism, and didn’t try to change who they were, life became so much easier. She felt so good about just loving her son for who he is and realized that when he is ready to talk, learn, or whatever else his delays are, he will do it. I think that is truly amazing that she has learned something from that letter and her life is better because of it. However, I felt the need to share my open letter about why that isn’t an option for me.

My Open Letter about Autism

                Years ago when my son was diagnosed with Autism I thought I had no choice but to accept it. Even though I heard about ways I could help with the symptoms of Autism, I didn’t know what I could do to help my son be like my other kids, after all this is how God created him. So I tried the gluten free diet on my own, but I gave up and decided to just let him be and accept it.  After years of him just being in early learning centers, autism programs at school and ESY, I met someone who would change my mind. This person was an advocate for her son to the fullest. She told me when I was enabling my son from doing what he could do and found doctors that could help them become a little bit better. By that I mean treating Autism. A lot of people believe that Autism isn’t curable, and I'm starting to believe it isn’t as well. I don’t know anyone whose child has been cured. I’ve read a book where a doctor states that he’s had children that have been recovered; or to say become typical. But after years and no one has spoken out about how their child has been healed, I take the book for just what it is, words on paper. It did give me insight as to why these children have Autism though. Ailing bodies, weakened systems and poor nutrition. When I first started treatment I wanted to cure my son. Now, I just want him to be healthy. And if becoming “typical’ is a result of him being healthy, who am I to fight that. I've said to so many people too many times that it is easier to sit back and do nothing. Scripture says in Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Getting up early so Jordan can take 7 supplements before he goes to school is no walk in the park. Screening foods so he doesn’t get ingredients he shouldn’t have is an annoyance. Keeping him from foods, snacks and drinks I know he loves is saddening. But life isn’t easy. Anything worth having is worth fighting for. We must go through a lot of difficulties to get where we need to be, the word says so. Which is one reason why I know what I am doing for my child is what I am supposed to be doing. Another reason I know, it because of how my steps were ordered. I met someone after losing a friend for over 20 years who I would have not met otherwise. That person led me to the path I am on. Not only that, but when I had started treatment, you can say at that time I was a worldly Christian. Things I was doing for my son, wasn’t completely working, sometimes they would, and sometimes they wouldn’t. But when I became less worldly and more spiritual, everything worked. Slowly but surely my son was doing better. Results were coming back like they should. God was teaching me through treatment. It is His way of speaking to me. So it’s hard to hear people say that what I am doing with my son is a form of abuse. He is no longer having bowel issues, and I’ve learned why he’s had behavior issues and have taken the steps to correct it. So when I give him certain supplements and I can see changes in places where I am supposed to see them, I can only believe that the supplements I give him that help him where I can’t see are working as well. So forgive me if I want to put my all into it because it helps me discern what my Lord wants from me. I’m not trying to change my son. I’m trying to learn my God. And if my son happens to be “cured” because of it, I will have an even greater testimony than I already have.

Popular Posts