Finding my purpose through autism

Some of you may be aware, but some of you may not be aware that my son Jordan, now 9, was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3. I have been trying for years to help him overcome this diagnosis, by holistic treatments. Now some doctors and people believe that autism is a neurological disorder. And some believe that it is a problem within the immune, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems. I am in the latter group. Ever since I have started Jordan seeing his DAN! (Defeat Autism Now) doctor there have been positive and negative changes in Jordan. But I can say in my case that ALL of the changes come from the treatment with homeopathic medicines, but they have all come over the course of 4 years.


These 4 years have been a learning process. With treatment comes with him going gluten free and so there were the diet changes. Then there was gradually adding supplements to help his ailing systems and subtracting those that have shown to be of no help to him. And believe me when I say it has truly been a struggling and trying time.  I've had bouts of depression and even times where I wasn't depressed, but just wanted to say enough is enough. I’m tired of giving him 12 different supplements every day and some 2 times a day. I’m tired of screening foods for gluten and phosphates. I’m tired of waiting to see if healing him internally is actually going to help him be recovered.


But if I actually want to see where this road is going to lead him, I have to be patient. When you want something, God just doesn't place it on your lap and say “Here you go”. You have to pray, ask, show God how important it is to you and show Him you are willing to take the steps you need to help Him help you get what you desire, and giving Him the glory at the same time. If God were to have just “cured” my son when I wanted him to be, I wouldn't have the relationship with Him I have now. Which wouldn't have lead me to have some of the relationships I have where I’m helping others that are in the same situation now that I was in years ago; nor getting the help I need as well. I also wouldn't have the patience, the understanding, and the wisdom I have when it comes to autism, as well as life. I understand my son hasn't been recovered because He still has more to teach me. And I have to pass more tests to make sure I will be ready for what’s ahead if my son can be recovered, partially or fully. And He has to make sure that once all is said and done, I will still apply the principles He is teaching me now, to other situations I may come across in the future and not abandon His will.


My pastor spoke for the past 5 weeks on “Finding and Fulfilling Your Purpose”. My purpose is to help others. But I cannot fully help if I don’t have the experience and patience to learn what I need in order to help others from taking the unnecessary steps I had to, to make their journey a little easier. I have the passion to help, the possibilities/outcome of what could be if I continue with what I’m doing instead of giving up and never knowing, the provisions/resources to get the job done, the player haters who believe that it can’t be done, and the people in place to make it happen. If that isn't enough to PRAISE Him and be patient with Him while He works then I don’t know what is. To God be the GLORY!


Popular Posts