Outside influennces

One day when Jordan came in from school he was eating something. He was on the Feingold diet at that point but I figured if it's every once in a while it should be okay. The problem was it wasn't every once in a while. After seeing the inconsistencies in his behavior, I felt it would be best if I tell the evening bus driver and aide that he is on a strict diet and that he should not be given any snacks anymore. The thing about that is, I was so concerned about getting him in the house and reading his communication notebook, I kept forgetting to go out and tell them. So this past Monday I wrote a note to his teachers to tell the drivers aide not to give him anything because of his diet. Later on that day I got a call from the aide telling me that every so often he would get snacks like a piece of an orange or chocolate chip cookie because he would be in tears because he wanted it. He reassured me that he would not allow Jordan to have anything else when on the bus.

Coming into this information, it finally made sense why some days he would be well-mannered and the others not so much. Problem with knowing this is now I have to start over because now I don't know if chia and sunflower seeds were a problem. I'm not sure if him having onions in his beef and black beans were an issue as well. I'm a little apprehensive to give these things back to him because things are going good right now. Even though he had small amounts of rice Monday and Tuesday, he didn't have any problems at school Wednesday. I'd just hate to introduce some of the things I have taken away and go back to square one. But I feel like if I don't, I will never really know what causes him to lash out at times. I mean I have done my research and it's possible that the things I have removed are culprits, but if the seeds were not the cause of his actions, I would love to add them back into his diet for proper nourishment. I think my best bet is to simply do as I vowed a few weeks ago and not add anything new until school is out. Mainly because he still has the leaky gut issue and the giving him the seeds just doesn't seem like the right thing to do because of it.

Sunday night Jordan was very calm. He was acting as if he was on some kind of relaxing medication. This was after having no rice or onions for quite a few days and no snacks since he was out of school for the weekend. There was no vocal or physical stimming. But of course after adding the rice back in, he became a little hyper again. Rice, any kind of rice, will raise your blood sugar. I thought giving him brown rice was better because it has more fiber and therefor will not allow the level to raise too much. However, since I believe he has a leaky gut, I don't think it matters what he gets. Because of that, I will permanently remove the rice and allow him to have just beef and broccoli and continue with the baked chicken and cabbage. I haven't started him on the probiotics I mentioned in the last post because I'm just little leary it will make him regress. I mean I gave him vitamin d and it made him wild. I don't know if it's because of salicylates because it wasn't listed as Feingold approved, or if it was because he had been off it for such a long time and then we started him back up with the dosage he was on instead of slowly increasing it again. I will address all concerns at the next doctors appointment coming up in about three weeks.

Changing subjects a little, today was a very weird day. Jordan's class took a field trip to see the Lego Batman movie. We saw that movie with my daughter and granddaughters a few weekends back so I opted to keep him home so he wouldn't be upset he didn't go with the class. Also because I didn't want to pay for him to go to the movie again, and then act out because he can't have snacks while there. I have noticed that when he wants something he can not have it will trigger his aggression as well. Almost the whole day he cried about getting on the bus and going to school. He even put on his uniform on and attempted to get me to make his lunch numerous times. I took him to the store to get him some food hoping that would satisfy his need to get out, but once back home he was back at it. Finally after picking up his little sister, he was willing to go upstairs and change back into his pajamas. After being up there for sometime his oldest sister comes to me telling me that she heard water and when she checked in his room he was peeing on one of his toys.....again. This confirms that he did do what I thought he did on his keyboard and probably the Wii that was in his room as well. When it comes to this I know it had everything to do with what transpired today, but I don't know if a diet change can help with this. I mean I could understand if he did this when he was upset and crying. But for him to do this aftee having calmed down and being compliant is beyond me. Despite this, I am still optimistic that this type of behavior won't go on for long. The remainder of this week I will learn and lean on 1 Peter 5:10 "But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you." If I don't I will probably go crazy.


Popular Posts