A slight scare

Exactly a week ago the weirdest thing happened that almost had me in a panic. The morning of the 14th Jordan woke me up to brush his teeth with the hiccups. I actually thought it was kind of cute. He hadn't had the hiccups in years and that time when he did have them it was just that one occasion. But on the 14th he had them a total of 4 times, and that's only counting what I saw, he could have had them more since he spends most of his days in the den on the computer.

I remember telling his sister that he had the hiccups and asking her if she ever remembered seeing him have them before. This was before I remembered that he had them maybe 2 years ago. She said no as well as his other sister. Then she came to me saying he had them again. I began to wonder if there was something to this. I tried to do a little research but didn't come across anything significant, but then again my research wasn't very extensive because part of me felt, this is just Jordan's system becoming more normal. Signs that things are balancing out and getting on track. But then he got them a third time, and a fourth time after I woke him up from his sleep to put him in his bed. After that I began to worry. Thinking something was medically wrong, I turned out his light and went to do more research to figure out what may be the problem and what I could do about it. Proverbs 1:5 says "A wise man will hear and increase learning, And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel." And even if I found nothing to be wrong, because of the damage that could be done, I now know the signs and can catch it early if something does go awry.

Something I found out in an article when I first looked up what the problem could be was that persistent hiccups could be a magnesium deficiency. With him doing chelation, and at a higher dosage these past 6 weeks, I thought well this could definitely be the issue. But he takes a supplement that's a multivitamin and minerals that are combined that should get him back on track after the chelation weekend is over. That night when I did further research, I found that it could be a sign of kidney failure. That was all I needed to go overboard.

With chelation one of the things we checked for before we started and need to monitor closely is the kidneys. We have to make sure it can handle the toxins that will come out with urine. He had no problem using the bathroom, but then again, I don't see him when he goes number 2. And with me not green juicing for a while because I couldn't find any collard greens, I didn't have that confidence that he was regularly going because when he gets that green juice, he definitely goes. I began to research more symptoms and one more stood out. That one being a decrease in appetite. It wasn't that his appetite was decreased per se, but in the days prior to the day full of hiccups, he took almost 2 hours to eat his breakfast. Everything else he did just fine though. I was scared that entire night that my son may be in kidney failure and I would have to put him on dialysis.

By the time I heard from his doctor concerning this matter, I was a little more at ease. Partially because the next day he hadn't had them at all. I was monitoring his bathroom use and it was as normal as ever. So just as a precaution I still gave her a call and she said it was nothing to be concerned about. I should have had Joshua 1:9 on my mind all that day. It says "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." The worrying I did was in vain, because I should have know that with God everything was going to be okay. I have learned God's voice when it comes to Jordan and this treatment. Every time his results have gone up or down, God has always giving me the notion to what they were before hand and every time He never was wrong. In my gut I knew my son was fine. He was just as normal as he always was. He was still playful, giggly, moody, all the things that make Jordan, Jordan. Instead of me taking it as a sign that something was wrong, I should have taken it as a sign of normalcy.

Because I am of flesh, sometimes I do have doubts, but I am learning to trust in the Lord more and more. He hasn't let me down yet, and He never will.

Popular Posts