Oh, how many jobs you have

As I was giving Jordan a bath a few nights ago I thought about how happy I was that I did not have to give him a hair cut this week. Giving Jordan a cut is very simple. He has become very familiar with the routine after 7 years of me cutting his hair. But I can only do a simple cut. No shape ups because he has shown me he is not ready for that yet a while ago. And because of him not being able to sit completely still, I don't want to risk it. But thinking about the hair cut had me thinking about all of the jobs I have added to my repertoire over the years of caring for him.


Barber - As stated above I give Jordan his hair cuts mmmm...maybe every 3-4 months. When his hair grows it grows into curls so when he needs a cut it doesn't look like it. Looks like he wears his hair curly. I just don't like this look but apparently everyone else in the household does because I get funny looks once I've cut it. So I can have it the way I like and so don't have to cut it too often, I allow it to grow and be curly for a while.


Chef - I've always cooked for my family, some things from scratch, some things instant. For Jordan a lot of his gluten free items were instant, or something you could just throw in the microwave or oven. A while back Jordan was on the beef fried rice made by Hamburger Helper kick. It's almost all he would eat. I would say over a year ago, probably more, it was no longer gluten free. So I made him beef fried rice from scratch. I also at one time tried to make him a gluten free pizza. That was a nightmare. There has been a lot of improvements in the gluten free items available to heat up and eat now. But I still have to prepare maybe 2-3 different meals a night.


Teacher - While we all teach our children right and wrong, how to read, how to write their name; for the most part when they enter school the teachers teach and you give help and support. With Jordan I have to teach him every time we do his homework. Not only that, I have to teach him how to respond to questions properly, teach him words I would like for him to say or the word to an item or something he may not know what the word is, try to teach him how to pronounce words properly to help out the speech therapist. I also help guide his hand to write neatly to help out his occupational therapist. Other things but way to many to name.


Doctor -When Jordan's immune system was not a strong as it is now, he used to get strep throat quite a bit. One time he got it and I knew what it was right away and before it could even be diagnosed by the doctor. He had to see someone else in the practice because his doctor was booked. She said she would do the culture but she didn't believe he had strep. I told her that's what it was, we deal with this quite a bit. She still gave me the prescription even though she doubted me. It cured him and rest assured he won't be seeing anyone but his PCP. Also I have to keep track of symptoms he has from supplements he takes, and what makes him sick, like drinking too much cilantro.


Caretaker - Now of course as parents we are caretakers of our kids. But at a certain age your child becomes more independent. They brush their own teach, make their own food, pick out their own clothes, bathe themselves, etc. Those things listed and more I still have to do for or help Jordan with. Not to mention the numerous supplements that I have to give him daily; sometimes hourly, multiple doctors visits every 2-3 months. I really feel like I should getting paid for it. Well I do, not monetarily, but I do.



Magician - When it comes to a non-verbal child, you have to become a mind reader. No so much now but before I had to try to figure out what Jordan needed when he was hungry and couldn't say the name of the food he wanted. I still have to figure out what ails him at times. When he's upset for no reason he cries, or throws a small tantrum by stomping a foot or maybe knocking something over. It's very rare but I have to figure out what's the problem and diffuse the situation when then turns me into the...

  
Psychologist - trying to calm Jordan down after you have to yell his name because he won't come to take his supplements or when he's getting frustrated with his homework is one of the hardest things I have to do. He's not easily agitated, and it doesn't get severe, so it's easy to deal with. Pretty much you just have to let it run it's course with him. You can try to give him all the starbursts in the world but after he's eaten them he goes back to the mood he was in until he's ready to get over it. It would make sense to just let him be until he has calmed down. But that's my baby and I'm going to try every single time to stop him from
being upset because that's what moms do.




Supergirl - I list this because as the mom of Jordan who can't tell me when someone is harming him verbally or mentally, it's hard to send him to school, on the bus, and field trips because I have no clue as to what could be happening to him. You have to be made of steel to put so much trust into those that take care of your non-verbal child. That is the main reason I stay home, so that he doesn't have to go to a day care. They have so many kids to deal with that some of them just don't care. At least the teachers in the special needs classroom have 4-5 kids in a room so they don't have to many children that they get overwhelmed, and they still have the extra help.

Last but not least.....

Best Friend - Many of us have best friends. Some may be spouses, childhood friends, cousins, etc. My best friend is Jordan. Yes my husband is my best friend, but Jordan is closer to me. Jordan needs me for almost everything. I am the one he seeks when he gets hurt, and when he wants to eat. I am the one who he wants play with and who he sits with when he comes home from school. And I am the one who he needs to go to sleep. He is my buddy. And even though some of the things he will not need me for in the future if he happens to overcome his autism, I know we will still be as close as ever because the bond that we share now isn't going to disappear if and when his autism does.






Popular Posts