Big changes ahead

Remember in my last post, I talked to you about a friend's passing whose favorite word was Mitochondria? Remember how I came across a webinar where a functional nutritional therapist spoke about Mitochondrial dysfunction? Remember my conflict because I was unsure which doctor I wanted to see? Well, the confusion is no more.

On Tuesday, I consulted with Tamy from Evan Brand Functional Medicine. I am not prepared for everything that I have to do moving forward. Not only as far as his diet is concerned, but all of the other changes I need to make throughout the house will be hard to do because there are six of us in the home.

First, she reviewed the intake forms. Based on the information I shared with her, she feels Jordan is more than likely high in oxalates found in most plant-based foods. Oxalates bind to minerals, making it hard for the body to absorb nutrients. Oxalates are supposed to be released from the body through the urine; however, when they are in the body in abundance, they deposit themselves in soft tissue areas, leading to inflammation and interfering with cellular function. So the goal is to change Jordan's diet to be mainly meat-based, giving him at least 175-200 grams of meat protein daily! Removing plants high in oxalates because they protect themselves from predators and replacing them with meat will help heal inflammation and heal and seal the gut. In addition, I will replace the Himalayan pink salt with Celtic salt. The doctor has learned that pink salt has been found to have heavy metals in it. 

With this new diet, I must purchase new cookware, cooking and eating utensils, etc., for Jordan. Even though I do not cook many foods with gluten in our pans, the scratches that form can hold particles from the foods made in them and cause cross-contamination. The smallest molecule can cause a problem to someone sensitive and remain in their system for up to six months. I will also have to use a separate sponge when cleaning his cookware. Also, I will have to find new cleaning supplies and remove candles and scented things from the home. And that's just to start.

I will purchase the OAT (organic acids test) and the practitioner's recommended supplements today. I can't say I'm looking forward to this drastic change. The diet I can handle. Even keeping his utensils and cookware separate from the family's won't be a big issue. If I can find decent cleaning supplies, that won't be much of a challenge either. I see having the most issues with the scents within the house.

I don't burn many candles. I have moments when I like to, but they are not often. However, my daughters like to burn candles and incense, use nice-smelling detergents, and more. I don't want to have them relinquish the smells they like, but I need to consider how it will hinder Jordan and his recovery. But overall, I know God's got this. Psalm 91:2, "I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."

I planned on starting the new diet, walking, removing scents, and doing everything the doctor recommended today. But I need to talk with the family, so I will plan for Monday. I will return with a new post soon to share the supplements suggested, what they do, and how they will help.


Comments

Popular Posts