Don't want to speak to soon, but...

The beginning of this week I started Jordan back on the fish oil, the last thing to add on our checklist. Many of you know Jordan seemed to have an allergic reaction to the oil and I had to put him on an anti-histamine diet because of some of the things that where raising the histamine levels in him. Right around the time summer vacation started Jordan's tics and stimming returned. I was not, and still am not sure the cause for the regression, but I started to look more into the fact that he was only partially on the Nemechek Protocol because he was not taking the oil. I decided to try the vegan brand that I had bought as a substitution.

After some weeks of taking them, there were no changes. I recalled where in the book the doctor said he did not see where any gains were seen when using this type of oil. I was only slightly concerned returning him to the EPA/DHA. That's because of the lack of regression seen when I allowed Jordan to consume cake for his 14th birthday. It was not gluten or casein free. The icing had coloring that I attempted to stay away from when cutting his pieces. He had a total of 3 slices and the most I got from him was constantly asking for more cake, more giggling and stimming, and not wanting to go to bed at night. Also, he did rip one of his socks, something he hadn't done in a very long time, and sprayed water in the bathroom. Although gluten doesn't have quite the same affect on him as the oil seemed to have, I still felt I needed to try it again to be able to see the results being fully on the protocol.

July 30th I added the oil back into his regimen. Four days later I don't see any changes in him as far as the negative behaviors. Usually this would cause him to wet the bathroom floors with water or urinate on them, anxiety over the smallest of things like not being able to go with me to take his sister to gymnastics and/or throwing his tablet. I do need to mention the fact that I added quercetin into his regimen due to the seasonal allergies that were present in him. Magnesium is something that can help with building DAO levels in the body. Low levels allow for things that cause allergies to be a problem. It is another reason I believe he hasn't reacted to the oil in such a way either. I know it hasn't had enough time to show improvements in the area of the tics, but I am very thankful it hasn't shown the regression I know can come with it.

I do want to mention the same night I gave it to him, he went into the den to play the Wii system, something he hasn't done or wanted to do in some time. I heard the many different games he was playing, games he hasn't tried to play before. Not only was he attempting to play other games, he was actually trying to complete them. When he plays boxing, he just stand there. I'm not sure what he did when playing that one, but my daughter told me the marble drop game he got a high score of 60. That game uses the Wii board and you have to shift your weight to get the marbles to drop through a hole in the platform. He doesn't do well on the balancing games. He also played a cycling game the you have to walk on the board to pedal and grab flags on the way. He was actually walking on the board and attempting to steer the controller to grab the flags instead of doing his own thing. When he got frustrated with it he asked his sister for help. I was so happy he was determined to complete it instead of giving up and coming to eat. That was also something that was different because his food became done while he was playing and I told him to let me know when he is ready to eat and he said okay and finished the game where he would normally cut it off right away. Even as I type his is replaying the intro to Super Mario Brothers over and over and sitting calmly and quietly, a way he never would react when he is having an allergic reaction.

July has been sort of a stressful month for me. There are some things that have happened that has made me want to throw my hands in the air and give up. However, seeing things like this is comforting. The others things that have happened have come and gone leaving remnants in my mind, heart and my body. But soon they will be an afterthought. But Jordan's improvements, they will stay with me forever. I will never not think back to where we came from. Especially when he gets to the point where he is just like everyone else in the family. Holding conversations, making his own food, going out with friends and everything else we do that we sometimes take for granted. I will never not look at him and see how far he's come. I realized the things that frustrate us, we hold on to and it does not change the situation. But things that are made to be positive in our life we tend to think of as a hassle and want to let go of. We are holding on to the wrong things, me included. Philippians 4:8 (NIV) "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." I hope to do a better job of thinking about what is good and letting go of what I am supposed to let Him handle in the first place.

Comments

Popular Posts