The Root

Sunday, October 22, our church services consisted of 4 different sermons from the spiritual sons of the church. I know all but one of them and I believe they are all pastors at different churches ranging from Maryland to New York. My Sunday routine is to attend at 8 and serve in Sunday school for the 10 and 12 o'clock services. This day, Bobby Manning, pastor of the First Baptist Church of District Heights, presided over the 8 o'clock service. Since he pastors over another church, it's likely that he spoke to the 8 o'clock crowd so he could pastor at his church the rest of the day. However, God so orchestrates things as well because Pastor Manning's message was one that will forever stay in my mind and heart.


Years ago when I started on this path of treatment I am on with Jordan, I learned there is a root cause to what makes him, him. And nothing like hearing a sermon about what you have learned to make you believe that what you are doing is ordained by God. In the sermon, he shared that when we pray to God in times of trouble, we are praying for the relief of the symptoms. When we have fights in our marriage we ask God for peace instead of addressing the root causes. Selfishness, pride, unforgiveness, etc. Or problems with finances we are asking God for deliverance when we need to address not having a budget, overspending and/or not tithing. The same goes for Autism. Our children stem, are picky eaters, have learning disabilities, and we want them to be calm, coerce them to try other foods and demand teachers to implement what we feel they should have in their IEP's, but don't get to the root cause. The foods they crave, which they can't tolerate well, are addictive to them and most times don't supply the brain with the nutrients it needs to work properly. Also there is the leaky gut syndrome where food is getting into the body. These are root issues we need to address but some just want our children to learn and behave as we want without getting to the bottom of it.

I have been trying to get to the root cause for years now but I admit, I have been guilty of asking God to allow Jordan to behave better while in school instead of asking Him, "What caused him to act this way today?" For the most part, Jordan has been well behaved in school this year. With the exception of a minor cold that came about a couple of weeks ago, he was very focused and compliant. However, Friday and even at home on Sunday, he did somethings that mirrored the old Jordan. When I see this, I don't become as worked up as I did before because of the peace I found that I spoke on in last months post. And now, because of what I heard yesterday, I can pray the right prayer. Ask God to reveal to me the reason behind it and then address it. Instead of having peace with him acting out at times, I pray for the direction in which I should go so we alleviate the problems once and for all.

In Mark 4 Jesus' followers were in the boat that was in a sea storm while they were trying to cross over to the other side. Jesus was in the lower deck sleep when they woke Him and asked does He not care that they are perishing? Mark 4:39 "Then He arose and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, 'Peace, be still!' And the wind ceased and there was a great calm." He was addressing the wind which was the reason the waves were pounding the boat. Reading the passage you will notice that the problem that he addresses, is something that we can not see. A lot of the battles we face are things we can't see. Another thing we tend to do is not trust the process. Jesus said to them lets go to the other side, not if we make it to the other side. Jesus had a plan. The plan must go through a process. To get to where God wants us to be, we have to trust the plan, and endure some of what comes along with the territory.

Now if I can be honest with you, I want to mask some of the symptoms of Jordan's behaviors. I have been debating if I should add the inositol he used to take to calm him. The date I considered it, the bottle that I have somehow ended up in the refrigerator, leading me to believe it was a sign. It is possible that if I give it to Jordan, or the gaba he used to take, that his behaviors will be more consistent if his body is not getting nutrients properly do to the healing of his gut. There is a conflict in my mind because if his body isn't producing enough of what it needs to remain calm, I can just add the supplement. But the goal is to have him able to produce whatever he needs through a proper diet. It's going to take more research and prayer to get the answer, but I'd rather wait and get to the root than to cover it up and not fix the issue at all.

Will you get to the root cause of the problems you face, or will you continue to address the symptoms only?

Comments

Popular Posts